Jared D
Jared D, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  Shop Supervisor at County Fleet

03 diamante .Car will start fine with jumper cables on it but

Customer Question

03 diamante .Car will start fine with jumper cables on it but as soon as I take them off it sputters and dies.
JA: Battery issues can be tough to diagnose - lots of things to consider. Luckily, the mechanic I'm going to connect you with knows all the tricks and shortcuts. Tell me a bit more about what's going on so he can help you best.
Customer: I actually have two problems. I just bought the car and none of the interior electronics work besides heated seats, radio, and turn signals. I recently went to start the vehicle and the battery was dead. I've only gotten it to start once under its own power.
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself?
Customer: Yes
JA: Great! What have you tried so far?
Customer: I have tested all fuses and replaced blown ones, and also tried a different battery
JA: Is there anything else the Mitsubishi Mechanic should be aware of about your Mitsubishi?
Customer: Not that I can think of
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Mitsubishi Mechanic about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Mitsubishi
Expert:  Jared D replied 5 months ago.
Hi,A vehicle stall when the jump source is disconnected usually indicates a bad alternator. Do you have a multi-meter to test the alternator output?
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
I do not. However I did borrow one yesterday and checked the battery and it was down to 8.5 I'm assuming the alternator brought the battery down
Expert:  Jared D replied 5 months ago.
You may have a large draw caused by a short somewhere in the system also if it is killing the battery so quickly. When you have the engine running (with a jumper vehicle connected) test to see what the output of the alternator is. This might be tough to get an accurate reading since the other vehicle has to be connected to keep it running. You best bet is to remove the alternator and have it bench tested at a parts store.
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Also before I encountered this problem nothing on the interior worked. I replaced a few blown fuses and got the headlights, radio, and instrument cluster to come back on but aside from that nothing else works (sunroof, windows, seat control, power locks, trunk, fuel door, etc.)
Expert:  Jared D replied 5 months ago.
Have you checked for wiring damage?I would check all of the wiring harnesses for damage and to make sure they are all properly seated. Let me look at a diagram and see if there is a common harness for the accessories that you mentioned.
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
No I have not I've only owned the vehicle for three days and haven't had much time to mess with it.
Expert:  Jared D replied 5 months ago.
Looking at the wiring diagrams the only thing they all have in common is the under hood fuse box. You might pull the fuse box and look for rodent damage or signs of water and corrosion. You should also check all of the fuses in the fuse box to make sure none of them are blown.
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
I will do that right away and fill you in!
Expert:  Jared D replied 5 months ago.
Sounds good.
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Everything appears fine no corrosion or words chewed through however I am missing the horn relay labeled "D" could that play a factor?
Expert:  Jared D replied 5 months ago.
It shouldn't make a huge difference, but if you plug one in and it starts honking uncontrollably then you might have a shorted harness somewhere.
Expert:  Jared D replied 5 months ago.
Did you still need help with this question?If not, please don't forget to rate. That's how JustAnswer compensates us for our time. Thanks!