Doug
Doug, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  Mitsubishi employed and Factory trained ASE certified technician
21364095

No spark at plugs have power going into dust cups connector

Customer Question

No spark at plugs have power going into dust cups connector shows 12 on one wire and less than 1 volt at other 2 wires with it unplugged
JA: Sometimes things that you think will be really complicated end up being easy to fix with Mitsubishi. The Mitsubishi Mechanic I'm going to connect you with knows all the tricks and shortcuts. Tell me a bit more about what's going on so he can help you best.
Customer: Car has sat for a few years now won't start no codes and no spark ran before it was parked
JA: Figuring out why a car won't start can be a challenge - it could be a simple repair, or something a bit more complicated. Fortunately, the mechanic I'm going to connect you with knows all the tricks and shortcuts. Are you hoping to fix this yourself?
Customer: Yes
JA: Great! What have you tried so far?
Customer: Checked power going to distributer has 12 v put a spark tester at plug no spark no spark on plug wire at distributer trying to check cps only reads 12v at one wire and .03 and .05 on the other 2
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Mitsubishi Mechanic should know about your Mitsubishi?
Customer: Fuel leak at filter
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Mitsubishi Mechanic about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Mitsubishi
Expert:  Doug replied 6 months ago.

What sort of vehicle is this?

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
01 Mitsubishi diamante 3.5 v6
Expert:  Doug replied 6 months ago.

Thanks. Lets go back to the crank sensor and double check our voltages with the key On and the sensor unplugged. Do you still only have the single 12V wire (no 5V wire)?

If so, when you turn the key on do you see the Service Engine Soon light do a bulb test?

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
still no 5 v on any wire with key on
and yes check engine light comes on with key then goes out as it should
Expert:  Doug replied 6 months ago.

Thanks.

The 5V reference voltage is fed straight from the ecu... normally if this is missing it would mean the ecu is not waking up. However you are seeing a bulb test which is unusual (We would expect at this point the ecu was not operating, but the bulb test would indicate otherwise).

Are you able to communicate with the ecu via a scan tool or code reader? I'm not interested in anything as far as data from the ecu, just if you can actively communicate or not.

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
i will find out
Expert:  Doug replied 6 months ago.

Thanks.

Regardless of the outcome, we will want to go over all fuses again individually to make sure no blown ones escaped discovery. Based on the communication result we will likely be narrowed down to a failure point within the next 1-2 inspections.

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
I am sorry I have not gotten back to you I got food poisoning and am just getting back to work so yes I will recheck all fuses and get back to you
Expert:  Doug replied 6 months ago.

Oh that is no problem at all, I hope you are feeling better!

I'll be here if you need me.