Doug, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  Mitsubishi employed and Factory trained ASE certified technician

I'm installing a after market stereo into my lancer 2005

Customer Question

Hi, I'm installing a after market stereo into my lancer 2005 the grounding wire from the old stereo is attached to a bolt on the car but the aftermarket black grounding wire I read attaches to a black and yellow wire from the original car stereo.. but won't turn on, do you have any suggestions
JA: Sometimes things that you think will be really complicated end up being easy to fix with Mitsubishi. The Mitsubishi Mechanic I'm going to connect you with knows all the tricks and shortcuts. Are you hoping to fix this yourself?
Customer: Yes please
JA: Great! What have you tried so far?
Customer: From what I read the issue is that the grounding wire on the stock one is chassis based but the aftermarket one is not is there somewhere else I should be attached the aftermarket black grounding wire too
JA: Is there anything else the Mitsubishi Mechanic should be aware of about your Mitsubishi?
Customer: No it is 100% stock standard
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Mitsubishi Mechanic about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Mitsubishi
Expert:  K. Wiggins replied 5 months ago.
Hello, the black ground from the aftermarket stereo needs to be attached to a good ground outside of the harness. The bolt where the original unit was should work. You can use a test light or ohm meter to confirm if it's a good ground.