Doug, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  Mitsubishi employed and Factory trained ASE certified technician

Mitisubishi eclipse spyder gs: I have a 2003 Eclipse Spyder

Customer Question

I have a 2003 Eclipse Spyder GS.
After replacing waterpump thermostat can balancing belt and the sensor that controls idle plus the disc thing it goes on.all back together its ticking a lifter valve. I'm 50+ female trying to keep it going. What do I look for now. Please
Category: Mitsubishi
Expert:  Doug replied 5 months ago.
Hi,If the noise was not present before the repairs I would be most concerned about either the belt timing being off (either of the belts being a tooth or two off, or the oil pump being out of phase), or if you had a hard time getting the belt lined up then having worked the lifters dry.The noise was definitely not present prior to the repairs right?When installing the timing belt was the cam gear moved excessively by hand?
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Cam gear was moved1/4 turn . To put everything in time...oil pump lined timing mark cam shaft had to be moved to be on the mark. Counter balancing belt was replaced.
replaced .shaft
Expert:  Doug replied 5 months ago.
Thanks. 1/4 turn shouldn't have pumped the lifters dry, that was my only concern there. Sometimes if you have to fight with the cam and turn it back and forth repeatedly you'll end up pumping the lifters dry. With regard to the oil pump... was the phasing checked? The oil pump gear has 6 different alignment positions, so the mark does not always mean it is lined up as the balance shaft behind it can be out of phase.Can you elaborate on the cam having to be moved to be on the mark? Was the old belt jumped time?
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
No it did not jump time. It was done exactly by the chiltons manual. How do I know what mark on oil pump
Expert:  Doug replied 5 months ago.
The oil pump mark is only a vague reference to the timing position as it has a 2:1 ratio to the balance shaft that it drives behind it. If you just line the mark up and not check the phasing, you will end up with a balance shaft out of phase which will make noise and at upper RPM it can vibrate too.When you aligned the oil pump did you take the service plug out of the side of the block like the service manual should have told you, then used a screw driver to lock the shaft in place?
Expert:  Doug replied 5 months ago.
Did you make any progress with this situation?