Doug
Doug, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  Mitsubishi employed and Factory trained ASE certified technician
21364095

Nephews car mitsubishi evo 2014 27000

Customer Question

Nephews car mitsubishi evo 2014 27000 miles idling problem now a burned up flywheel and clutch. Any ideas in shop now
Category: Mitsubishi
Expert:  Doug replied 9 months ago.
Hi, The clutch/flywheel condition at this mileage would be strictly a function of how it was driven... the dealer would not be able to warranty anything in that department as the clutch is a wear item covered only for 12 months/12000 miles. Under moderate driving most people get between 25000-35000 miles on the Evo clutch; rough/hard driving will result in a 10000-15000 mile clutch replacement. To see 27000 miles and have the clutch worn out is not at all surprising... only when they are pretty much babied do they last substantially longer. With regard to the idling problem, I can't say why they could not duplicate the issue... an idle issue should either be there or not be there. Generally the problems we see with idle on these are a result of modification to the boost release system, though of course any substantial change in the dynamics of the intake will cause problems (intercooler, hard charge pipes, external blow off, etc) if the computer is not tuned to compensate. As far as defect related issues... the only thing we see with relative consistency is the MAF sensors on the air filter box have a good 10-15% failure rate which will result in random idle related problems. Obviously being able to reproduce the problem will be critical in them figuring out what is going on.
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
I am not satisfied with answer and according to what I read your answer no help and I would like to have a refund of the amount of 31.00 to be refunded. That was my understanding when I agreed to this originally. I appreciate for the amount be refunded. I shouldn't have been charged that amount. I do not mind the 5.00 fee as agreed. If I knew this charge be applied before my answer I would never have allowed even the 5.00 fee either.