Randall
Randall, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  ASE Master Tech, 32 years, diagnostic/repair/ electrical specialist
13677702

Mitsubishi Lancer: Mitsubishi Lancer 2002 2.0 motor no voltage

Customer Question

Mitsubishi Lancer 2002 2.0 motor no voltage to coil cylinders 1 & 4 coil no spark no voltage
Category: Mitsubishi
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Could it be ECU or is it the crankshaft position sensor or camshaft positioning sensor one coil no fire 1 coil test voltage good the other coil no voltage on post wire from ECU
Expert:  Randall replied 7 months ago.
Hello, can you reword the test you have done? what wire are you testing that has no voltage? also, does engine run even if only on the 2 cylinders?
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
No engine will not start at all I tested 12 volt lead have 12 volts to the coil but I have no pulse when cranking the engine 2 2 single wire on cylinder coil 1 + 4
Expert:  Randall replied 7 months ago.
so you have spark on 2/3? just no spark on 1/4 BUT you do have power to the coil for 1/4?
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Yes
Expert:  Randall replied 7 months ago.
yes to what? I asked 2 questions, thanks
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Randall do you have any idea why I have voltage in spark - two number two and three cylinder coil but not 1 and 4 cylinder coil
Expert:  Randall replied 7 months ago.
I likely do, but I am not there, I am only gathering information and did you try anything yet to fix this problem. I have to gather info and cant just guess on an answer, Hope this makes sense, I had only asked a coupl questions and your replied, yes, I was only asking yes to BOTH quest ions or 1 of them
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Sorry Randall yes I have spark on 2 and 3 just no spark on 1 and 4 there is voltage - 1 + 4 on the 12 volt lead but there is no Kohl's on the single ladies when cranking the engine hope this helps
Expert:  Randall replied 7 months ago.
Thanks, ***** ***** pay close attention to what I type and write, I am here to help, I promise but I aslo asked if you have done or tried anything to fix the problem. Thx
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
No we just started testing and found out that we had those problems at that cylinder haven't tried anything yet as far as checking crankshaft positioning sensor or camshaft position sensor trying to find out how to test wires from ECU to that coil so just getting started
Expert:  Randall replied 7 months ago.
ok, I will send answer, bear with me, Thanks
Expert:  Randall replied 7 months ago.
Ok, NO way to be a cam or cranks sensor,. They send signal to the ECm at the ECM controls BOTh coils, you have one working soThe ONLY 3 things it can beBad wiring from ECM to that coil ( Highly unlikely)Bad ECM coil driver for that coil , internal to the ECM ( again, possible but never seen this happen)bad coil ( This is most common and what we see the most of, I suspect bad coil)
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Well it's not a bad coil Randall switch coils and that coil fires on 2 and 3 and the other coil does not fire on 1 and 4 and they're still no voltage to the signal wire from the ECU to that coil
Expert:  Randall replied 7 months ago.
well. I am sorry I sent the possibles. here are a few links, One is the wiring diagram and the other description.You would check continuity of the wires between coils and ECM, one coil is Black/green and the other is Black/yello, B/G goes to pin # ***** and B/Y goes to pin #10. Both go to ECM connector C 121. Crank sensor will not cause just one coil to fire, Possible at this stage the ECM is bad, the coil driver for 1/4 is bad within the ECM, I am not saying it cant happen, it just is not as common as bad coil