Doug, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  Mitsubishi employed and Factory trained ASE certified technician

I have a 2003 eclipse and the reverse lights do not turn on.

Customer Question

I have a 2003 eclipse and the reverse lights do not turn on. I put fresh bulbs in and have checked the fuse. Where else can I look?
JA: Sometimes things that you think will be really complicated end up being easy to fix with a Mitsubishi. The Mitsubishi Mechanic I'm going to connect you with knows all the tricks and shortcuts. Tell me a bit more about what's going on so he can help you best.
Customer: Kim
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself?
Customer: I can.
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Mitsubishi Mechanic should know about your Mitsubishi?
Customer: No.
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Mitsubishi Mechanic about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Mitsubishi
Expert:  Doug replied 5 months ago.
Hi,For component failure, there are two possible places to look. If you have an automatic transmission, then you would want to consider the park position switch on the transmission (also referred to as a range switch or neutral safety switch). This is the large flat device that the shift cable attaches to. When the shifter is placed in reverse, this switch in addition to controlling the transmission also sends the 12V signal to the back up lamps.If you have a manual transmission, there is a small two wire back up light switch on the top of the transmission that is likely failed.With regard to the automatic, if you have the lighted in-dash gear display it is most likely the R light would not light up either if the park position switch were at fault. With regard to the manual, you can very easily rule out the back up light switch by unplugging it and shorting the two pins of the connector together with the key on and seeing if the back up lights come on. If they do, then the switch is bad. Apart from those two things, your basics like you already covered with the bulbs and hopefully the bulb sockets (checking for corrosion) are the only other things besides the wiring.And unfortunately... the wiring is very common to be the actual problem on these. If the switch checks out via either of the two inspections above (according to transmission), and the bulbs/sockets are OK, then I would probably start tracing the wiring from the bulbs backward until I found voltage.