Juan Crespo
Juan Crespo, Tech Trainer
Experience:  A.S.E. Master Technician, Advanced Level, Emissions - Asian, Domestic, & European
19298667

No start JA: Sometimes things that you think will be really

Customer Question

No start
JA: Sometimes things that you think will be really complicated end up being easy to fix with a Mitsubishi. The Mitsubishi Mechanic I'm going to connect you with knows all the tricks and shortcuts. Tell me a bit more about what's going on so he can help you best.
Customer: Its a 98 eclipse non turbo no power to coilupon cranking
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself?
Customer: Yes
JA: Great! What have you tried so far?
Customer: Replaced battery and crank sensor and cam sensor and coil pack
JA: Lots of things can cause problems with the battery. The Mitsubishi Mechanic will know what to do. Is there anything else the Mitsubishi Mechanic should be aware of about your Mitsubishi?
Customer: The old battery was leaking and therefore the terminals were severely corroded so I cleaned em up good and installed a new battery
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Mitsubishi Mechanic about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Mitsubishi
Expert:  Juan Crespo replied 7 months ago.
Hi there.The ASD relay provides ignition voltage to the coil and the injectors. From what you post about severe battery terminal corrosion, it is possible that corrosion is also affecting the feed circuit to the coil where it joins several others at junction connector 3 (J/C3) located under the relay box.You can confirm the voltage drop by turning ignition on and temporarily running a wire from battery positive to the coil positive terminal; next, crank the enigne and check for spark. If there is spark, chances are there is a huge voltage drop at J/C3 that will need to be cleaned and connections restored.Please let me know if you need further assistance with this issue.Best Regards
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
No here's what's going on I think I have a bad pcm my asd relay has been replaced I did the test you said and nothing still no spark I think the pcm is in charge of grounding the coil I tested my asd relay and here's what I come upwithOk so key off I have 12v at the red/white key on I have 12v at the red/white while cranking it fluctuates between 6v and 7v.Key on I will have 0v for a split second then it goes to 12v while cranking it will do the same 0v for a split second then fluctuates between 6-7v. I tested pcm pin 20 and pin 46 i have 12v at both pins key on and while cranking both pins fluctuate between 8-9 volts
You're saying now there is no spark, which is a whole different issue from what you first posted which was "no power to coil upon cranking".Having clarified that point, the job of the ASD relay is to provide voltage to the coil and the injectors; to check it, turn ignition on and measure and record voltage across the battery posts; then measure voltage from the battery negative post to the ignition coil positive terminal. If voltage is the same, then ASD is OK. To confirm all power circuits fed by the ASD are OK, unplug any of the injectors and repeat procedure.If ASD checks out OK, then you'll need to plug in a scan tool capable of reading engine data to see if the crank and cam reference signals are indeed getting to the PCM, and if so, what is the PCM doing with those signals.Please let me know if you need further assistance with this issue.Best Regards.