Doug
Doug, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  Mitsubishi employed and Factory trained ASE certified technician
21364095

Mitsubishi Montero Limited: I have a 2005 Montero. Recently

Customer Question

I have a 2005 Montero. Recently replaced timing belt and much more. Now during idle while in drive, the rpms seem to dip and the engine runs rough and shakes. Similar situation occurs at just under 2000 rpms while trying to maintain speed on slight incline engine bogs down and shakes like riding on washboard. help?
Category: Mitsubishi
Expert:  Doug replied 7 months ago.
Hi,The washboard sensation is most likely to be transmission fluid related (worn or incorrect fluid in the converter) as it is a very common problem on this model. However it would not account for any issues at idle. We are 100% certain the belt timing is correct?Was the mechanical (Eccentric) tensioner replaced or reused? If reused, was the eccentric bolt loosened or was it left in original position and only the hydraulic tensioner was removed?
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
taking back to shop today and will ask. my suspicion along has been the timing but no codes have been triggered.
Expert:  Doug replied 7 months ago.
Thanks.The only other thing I would be concerned about with regard to idle is if the throttle body was not cleaned afterward... since the battery (normally) is disconnected during this service the throttle adaptation is lost and can result in low or rough idle or stalling.It would not cause any drivability issues however... just idle/stalling issues.Is it possible that the washboard feeling may have been felt before this job was done? As again the transmission fluid is real common to do this on this model, and if that is the case here the argument could be made that the transmission just needs a service and the throttle body was not cleaned as required after battery disconnection.
Expert:  Doug replied 7 months ago.
What you might do is find out first off if they did clean the throttle or not after battery disconnection. If they didn't start there and see if the stalling/idle issue is resolved as it likely will be. Then drive the vehicle and verify the washboard effect is still occurring. If it is, then it is most likely just unfortunate timing for the transmission fluid to decide it was time to shudder, and an SPIII flush would be in order. As long as the idle/stalling conditions are resolved after the throttle cleaning you can be pretty certain there isn't anything going on with the actual timing belt job.If however the stalling/idle issues are still present after a throttle cleaning (or they assure you that they did clean it after completion of the job), then an issue with the timing or belt tension would be more likely causing the idle issues, and could theoretically be related to the shudder sensation as well.