Doug
Doug, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  Mitsubishi employed and Factory trained ASE certified technician
21364095

Mitsubishi 3000GT VR-4: I have a 93 3000GT VR-4 and the number

Customer Question

I have a 93 3000GT VR-4 and the number 11 driver's side fuse keeps blowing. When I disconnect the instrument panel harness, it stops. I have disconnected the gauge cluster itself with the harness connected and it still blows so it isn't the instrument panel itself.
Category: Mitsubishi
Expert:  Doug replied 7 months ago.
Hi,It sounds like you have already narrowed it down fairly well, so we know it is in the dash harness area somewhere but not the cluster.Try unplugging the cruise control switch, cruise relay, your auxiliary gauges and see if it blows.If it still does, then unplug the ETACS (large flat box up high on the driver side inside the dash).If it still blows, unplug the flasher and the SRS module.If still... then the speed sensor (under hood) and power antenna (in rear).If at any point it stops blowing, reconnect one thing at a time and see which causes it to blow. Hopefully something is found there, else we are going to have to suspect this a wiring failure.
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Do you mean the SRS control that's under the center console? I forgot to mention that the steering rack and power steering pump were replaced not long before it started shorting out. Does that point to something more specifically?
Expert:  Doug replied 7 months ago.
Yes, the main SRS ecu as it also is on that circuit. I can't think of anything that would be related to the steering rack that would do this with the exception of the speed sensor on the transmission... if its wiring is damaged you would blow this fuse too. If the problem occurred directly after the rack swap, then yeah I would change my order of operations above and make the speed sensor (and specifically the wiring in the vicinity) my first inspection.