peterpete190
peterpete190, Auto Technician
Experience:  Auto repair Technician with 17 years experience.Past ASE and other certifications.
14928985

I still have the same 2002 Mitsubishi montero

Customer Question

I still have the same 2002 Mitsubishi montero with the 3.2 DID 4m41 motor. My wife was stopped at a stoplight. The vehicle started to accelerate on its own and blow a lot of smoke. When the stop light turned, she let of the brake and started to move. The motor accelerated and then shut off. She was able to start it again, but when she pushed on the pedal, the motor did not accelerate. After a few minutes, she was able to drive it to a neighborhood mechanic. The mechanic worked on it and supposedly said there was a problem with the fuel injection pump. They supposedly replaced something on the gas pedal that connects to the fuel pump and messed with the idle...now the vehicle has a very hard time starting. It takes 4-5 seconds of turning over to fire. It seems like the starter and battery are ok...it just isn't getting fuel. The idle is now higher, around 1100-1200. The vehicle has much less power than it had before. From a dead stop, it has trouble getting going...especially if it is on a slight incline. Where do I start?
Category: Mitsubishi
Expert:  peterpete190 replied 7 months ago.
My name is ***** ***** I am a professional here at Just Answer. I noticed that your question had not received a response and thought I would see if you still need help with this.I apologize for the delay and I hope I can still assist you with this here. If the fuel injectors were never tested for this issue here this needs done.If one or more are leaking fuel into the cylinders or allowing to much fuel this can cause the smoke issue and acceleration or idle issue here and can seem like the pump was at fault.I would have these tested to see if any or all need replaced. If more help is needed, use the reply tab to continue our conversation. If no further assistance is needed, kindly rate my service.You can rate at any time and we can continue to work on your question as this will not close out your question.Keep in mind in some cases it can be difficult to fully diagnose or help repair your vehicle without seeing it and I work on delivering the best possible answer from what I see to work with.Thanks Pete