Doug, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  Mitsubishi employed and Factory trained ASE certified technician

Mitsubishi Montero Sport: there is still a air leak on my manifold

Customer Question

there is still a air leak on my manifold in the front i put it together very carefully and i cleaned and dryed it well
Category: Mitsubishi
Expert:  Doug replied 6 months ago.
Hi, Can you elaborate on the situation some? Are you verifying a leak with brake cleaner or propane while the engine is running, or do you hear it hiss or?
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
carb cleaner and it speeds up at the explained area around what i believe is the gasket i have it disassembled again and looking for any signs of disaster
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
it will not idle unless i use your rag trick on the throttle
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
this is how i kept it running to find the leak
Expert:  Doug replied 6 months ago.
Thanks.I am assuming you had the intake off to do plugs/valve covers or something along those lines? If this is the case, did you only remove the plenum as an assembly or did you split it in half at the drivers end?Did you replace the gaskets with either genuine Mitsubishi or aftermarket metal gaskets (NO paper or fiber gaskets)?
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
metal gaskets no split
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
i took it all apart and replaced all the plugs
Expert:  Doug replied 6 months ago.
Thanks.And just so I am clear the area you are suspecting a leak is at the front of the base of the plenum? If not, can you get a photo for me?
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
yes its at the base
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
aligned it correctly with the correct torque
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
ok i have to get this done today im missing work thx for your time but i cannot give you a good review
Expert:  Doug replied 6 months ago.
No problem, I'll need to see the area, but if it is at the base the only thing to consider is that the gasket may have slid out of position, provided you are torqued properly and have all of the bolts in of course.We can pick up at a later time to regroup.