Doug
Doug, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  Mitsubishi employed and Factory trained ASE certified technician
21364095

I replaced the engine in a 02 galant 2.4L. JA: The mechanics

Customer Question

I replaced the engine in a 02 galant 2.4L.
JA: The mechanics have tons of experience in that area. Are those all of the "symptoms"?
Customer: It started three times ran great. On the third run, it just shut off.
JA: Anything else I can tell the Mitsubishi Mechanic before I connect you two?
Customer: I ran a test with my snap on diagnostic tester. Fuel pump good, cam and crank sensor good. No spark from coils. I disconnected the battery for hours, no response. Suspect ecu not responding. It doesn't have coded keys either.
JA: Got it. Let's get this figured out. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Mitsubishi Mechanic about your situation and connect you two. You'll be on the road in no time.
Category: Mitsubishi
Expert:  Doug replied 8 months ago.
Hi, What do you mean it doesn't have coded keys? This vehicle was only sold with standard immobilizer keys in the US market... you need proper keys for the engine to run.
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
The guy brought it to me for a engine swap. It started a few times but cut off. I don't see a code or light in the dash indicating immobile. However that's what it seems like.
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
(Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call + Provide Diagrams, Manuals, or Instructions. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Expert:  Doug replied 8 months ago.
There will only be a green light the first few times, once it is tried extensively it stops (as does the spark; initially it just stops injector pulse). Do you have more than one key for it? If not, does the owner?What does the key that you have look like (flat metal, rubber/plastic head, if so what shape)?
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Owner says he only has the one key type which is flat metal with a blk head, but doesn't resemble the keys with the little sensor embedded in it. Gotta be a way to reset the end cause he's had this car for years.
Expert:  Doug replied 8 months ago.
The black head has two designs, one a "D" shape that is not immobilizer type (and will say "Mitsubishi" on it if genuine), and one that is a "shield" shape (and has a logo on it if genuine) and that one is immobilizer type.Again the 2000-2003 Galant could not be purchased without immobilizer. The only way around it is usually when there is a remote start in the vehicle (which will incorporate either a spare key or a RFID simulator kept inside the car). There is no way to make it not necessary though. I would assume if this is the only key he has, then it is the shield type... and we can proceed assuming it does in fact have a properly coded key.So at that point.... when you turn the key on does the Service Engine Soon light do its bulb test? Is there still communication with the computer via scan tool when the key is on?
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
There is communication with the scan tool, no light with the check engine light.
Expert:  Doug replied 8 months ago.
Thanks.As long as there is communication we can over look the engine light not bulb testing... it is probably burnt out. Unplug the ignition coils and check for power at each, verify you have one wire with 12V on both coils while the key is on.Then unplug the crank sensor and again test for voltage with the key on and verify you have one 12V wire and one 5V wire.
Expert:  Doug replied 8 months ago.
I am leaving for the night but we can pick up tomorrow if necessary.No need to reply to this tonight, as I'm heading out the door right now.