Matt C.
Matt C., ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  Master Automotive Technician

My name is ***** ***** and my car died while driving it. Got

Customer Question

My name is ***** ***** and my car died while driving it. Got a jump and made it home. Took battery and alternator out and had them tested. Bought a brand new battery and the alternator passed the test. Installed new battery but three lights in the dash stayed on, the brake, a/t temp, & battery light. While driving I noticed that at high rpm the lights would go off but would come back on at idle but after driving long enough high rpms wouldn't make the lights go away any more. Car died on me again! Tested said the alternator was good, then why does my battery get drained while driving?
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: This is a 2001 Mitsubishi montero limited
JA: OK got it. Last thing — Mitsubishi Mechanics generally expect a deposit of about $18 to help with your type of question (you only pay if satisfied). Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: Mitsubishi
Expert:  Matt C. replied 6 months ago.
Hello, I would like to see if I can help you figure this problem out. Have you tried putting a voltmeter across the battery terminals while the car is running to see what voltage your getting?
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
I have not
Expert:  Matt C. replied 6 months ago.
I would say to check that first and see what voltage you are getting. Then we can take it from there. From what you are describing it sounds like a bad alternator but we are going to verify that before replace.
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Ok I will do that first
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Ok I used a multimeter and checked the posts while engine was running and it was at 12.3 and dropping. I turned the lights on and it slowly went down to 11.9v
Expert:  Matt C. replied 6 months ago.
Ok, your next step is to check fuse#22 in your underhood fuse box, also take a look at the main fuse (120a). If both of those fuses are good. Get a reading from the power wire at the alternator while it is running. If the voltage reading at the alternator is somewhere in the neighborhood of 13.5-14v then it is good, if not, replace it.
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Where is fuse 22 located?
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Fuse 22 is windshield wiper, however, it is good as well as the main fuse. Check voltage at the alternator terminal because I can't reach the wire and the output was 11.89v
Expert:  Matt C. replied 6 months ago.
Here is a diagram for the fuse location.
Expert:  Matt C. replied 6 months ago.
If the fuse is good then you probably have a bad alternator.
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
It was the alternator problem solved. Thanks a bunch
Expert:  Matt C. replied 6 months ago.
Your very welcome, please don't forget to rate my service if I was helpful to you.