Doug
Doug, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  Mitsubishi employed and Factory trained ASE certified technician
21364095

My cars ac will not blow cold i know i have a small refrigerant

Customer Question

My cars ac will not blow cold i know i have a small refrigerant leak a full charge will last about one night. But either way the ac will never get cold ac clutch kicks on when i put R134a in it please help
JA: Good to know. The mechanics have tons of experience dealing with this sort of thing. How old is your transmission?
Customer: I have no clue i just recently bought the car it has 190,000miles. I put new spark plugs oil filter fresh oil. Also i would really like to ask about a tick i am hearing around the oil pan not a knock
JA: Ok. We'll get you to one of the go-to transmission guys. Other than the problems you mentioned, how has the car been running?
Customer: Is this a real person
JA: I'm the Mitsubishi Mechanic's Assistant. I work with them to help customers like you.
Customer: Ok
JA: Noted. I'll pass this info along to the mechanic so that he can get you a quick fix. Anything else I can tell the Mitsubishi Mechanic before I connect you two?
Customer: Yes one minute
JA: Got it. Let's get this figured out. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Mitsubishi Mechanic about your situation and connect you two. You'll be on the road in no time.
Category: Mitsubishi
Expert:  Doug replied 8 months ago.
Hi,What sort of vehicle is this we are working on?
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
2000 mitsubishi galant es 2.4
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
??
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Is this fake i just paid like 20$ for this shit
Expert:  Doug replied 8 months ago.
Thanks.I see you've been adding refrigerant... at any point have you had it properly discharged and and dye added to help locate the source of the leak?
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
No i have not yet put the dye in it because i wasnt worried about the leak until i got it blowing cold
Expert:  Doug replied 8 months ago.
Well one thing to keep in mind with this is that if you are "topping off" the system in order to get it cold, you are adding refrigerant on top of air and moisture that is introduced into the system each time it leaks... and this will cause two notable issues; over time it will become less and less effective in restoring cold air and the moisture left in the system will eventually cause damage to the compressor and the receiver dryer.Taking a look underneath the vehicle you will see two hoses coming off of the compressor, looping downward before going up and away. Is there any discoloration on these hoses (or even moisture)?
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
The car currently does not have any refrigerant ive already spent 80$ on the recgarges how can i check it without any
Expert:  Doug replied 8 months ago.
We are looking for evidence of past leaking.... we do not want to put any more refrigerant in the way you've been doing.Take a look at the two hoses I described and tell me if you see any discoloration on the rubber hoses or any signs of moisture (dirt clotting etc).
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Just checked and they look good.
Expert:  Doug replied 8 months ago.
Thanks.Looking in the front bumper area you will see the condenser, a large aluminum grate. Is this silver or is it black?Are there any signs of damage (bent fins/rails, discoloration, etc)?
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Silver and no not anything i can see
Expert:  Doug replied 8 months ago.
Thanks.That is certainly going to limit our possibilities... those are the primary areas where you are prone to issues and are often able to see a problem without any dye added or use of UV light/refrigerant detector etc.When you charged it you said it lasts about a day... when the system is operating (and even more specifically the first time you start it in the morning or after sitting) do you notice any sort of odor from the air vents?
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
No smells at all it just dobt make sense
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
But we can forget about the ac issue im more worried about a ticking noise in or around my oil pan
Expert:  Doug replied 8 months ago.
Well unfortunately it is extremely difficult to locate a leak without the proper equipment... It isn't so much that it shouldn't make sense, it is just a limit to what you can do without the right tools. We do see the two hoses off the compressor fail and leak a lot, but that is just one small area in a very large system to potentially have leaks.No problem... is this ticking a fairly high pitch or low tone? Is it always consistent or does it become erratic at times (not timed to engine rotation)?
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
The tick is constant as sonn as the car start it seems to increse slight when the motor is at high rpms cant hear it from inside of the vehicle. But outside and under seems to be ticking right around oil pan when i changed the spark plugs todat they had why carbon all over them had a distinct smell to it
Expert:  Doug replied 8 months ago.
Thanks.The plug condition is not likely to be related if the noise is constant (if it were random we could argue that it could be carbon knock and related, but that is very random). When you changed the oil did this noise change in any way (frequency, pitch, etc)?
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Maybe just a slight bit louder but i cant be to sure
Expert:  Doug replied 8 months ago.
Thanks.In this case with it only changing slightly with the oil change, the noise being consistent/constant (until drowned out by the engine noise) and it definitely not being a knock, I would be most expecting it to be lash adjuster noise from the valve train.This model engine is particularly susceptible to this problem, and even in top form they are very ticky and is heard primarily from the oil pan. The lash adjusters are basically just lifters that will get noisy as they age from a variety of causes.... dirty oil/history of dirty oil, running hot, long period of low usage (seals on the lash adjusters dry up), cheap oil or cheap gas usage resulting in high deposits in the oil, and so forth.Basically what happens is the lash adjusters are unable to keep fully pumped up and result in a ticking sound as the gap (or lash) is taken up constantly as the valves open/close.I would want to hear it in person of course before go forward with any parts replacements.... again these engines are very ticky by nature and being new-to-you it is possible that it is in normal/acceptable range perhaps. If not, then confirmation via stethoscope is preferred, and if so then replacement of all 16 lash adjusters is in order (there is no way to identify which are/aren't noisy, plus they would all be the same age anyway and prone to failure).
Expert:  Doug replied 8 months ago.
I am stepping out on break, but will return in just a little bit if you wish to discuss this further.
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Where are you located i cant stop by and let you take a look at it possibly pay you on friday to have it fixed
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Yes i would like to know a few cheap ways to fix this problem also the exhause has white smoke and is very moist when ny hand is placed behind it
Expert:  Doug replied 8 months ago.
Sorry for the delay.We aren't allowed to disclose information that would allow outside/personal contact for obvious legal reasons. I'm sorry the way I phrased that sounded confusing. With regard to fixing the noise... if it is what we suspect with the lash adjusters, there is no real cheap fix. The lash adjusters are usually in the $18 each range (16 total), though the price can vary by brand of course. Again I would want someone to personally hear/verify the source is what we suspect prior to replacement due to the costs involved as well as to make sure it is not what we would consider normal for this model, as again they are pretty ticky by design. If it is confirmed that it is lash adjuster noise and is beyond typical, be aware that no harm will come to the vehicle in this state... it is just noisy but will not cause any more damage or worsen etc.For the smoke.... things are going to continue to get expensive. --Most likely you are seeing rather thin gray/white smoke (hopefully) which is indicative of valve seals failing, also a very common issue on Asian design heads like this. The only repair for this is replacing the valve seals which is a several hundred dollar job requiring disassembly of the valve train. Over time it will worsen and while it will not cause additional damage, it will get worse to the point where it is not reasonable to keep driving due to the amount of smoke.--However the alternative would be thick dense white smoke... in this case it is indicating that coolant is being burned by the engine somehow... and in that instance you need to have it towed in for repair/evaluation immediately. A coolant burning issue of any type can and will escalate to the point of being much more expensive to fix if ignored. Again this would only be if the white smoke is thick and dense.
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Ok about how hard and how much will it be if i replaced it myself
Expert:  Doug replied 8 months ago.
You mean the lash adjusters?If you are fairly comfortable with engine work they are not hard... the valve cover has to come off along with the coils/plug wires of course. This exposes the two rocker shafts underneath. They can by unbolted and lifted up and the lash adjusters will fall out of them. There are special tools made to hold them in during installation, but honestly just some careful work with your fingers if you have big hands is sufficient, or you can use masking tape to temporarily hold them etc. No need to buy the tools.Once installed and every thing reassembled, they have to be bled by getting the engine up to operating temperature then running a pattern of idle-to-3000 RPM in slow increments over 15 seconds, then idling for 15 seconds... repeated about 40 times.The lash adjusters are currently at $25 each (x16) from Mitsubishi, but you can usually find them aftermarket from local auto parts stores for less. Again even at a lesser cost, due to the still high expense having a professional that is familiar with this particular engine listen to them first is highly recommended.
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Ok so i just found out that the tick does get as the motor does
Expert:  Doug replied 8 months ago.
does get?
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
The tick does get louder as the rpms on the car go uo
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Up
Expert:  Doug replied 8 months ago.
Right, and that makes it consistent with something internal, but doesn't tell you too much more than that.
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Ok so i wanna get my ac working properly what steps should i take
Expert:  Doug replied 8 months ago.
The AC you are going to need to get it to a shop with a AC recovery machine, have them evacuate the system entirely and put it on a vacuum for at least 20 minutes. This will boil off any moisture that has been introduced to the system. After 20 minutes they will turn off the pump and see how much vacuum it holds; if it doesn't hold at all (drops extremely quickly) then they will need to pressurize the system and look for the leak as air escapes; if it holds the vacuum reasonably well (all but the largest leaks will), then they will inject dye into the system and charge it with the machine to insure the correct charge amount is installed (This is critical, as even a 15% variance will cause malfunction, and there is no way to gauge that manually when you are dealing in grams).Then once the system has had dye injected and charged, they have two courses of action; they can either use a refrigerant leak detector to sniff out the leak as the system runs which is pretty accurate with a good detector, or they can wait for the gas to leak out and then go over the entire system with a UV light to locate the dye, indicating the leaking part.Then of course the faulty part can be replaced and recharged for a permanent repair.