Doug
Doug, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  Mitsubishi employed and Factory trained ASE certified technician
21364095

Doug, just had to call a recovery vehicle to get my 10

Customer Question

hello Doug, just had to call a recovery vehicle to get my 10 year old shogun warrior home with what seems like completely seized up rear wheels. It started about a mile from home with a slight rhythmic squeak then suddenly a really awful clattering after about 30 secs, followed by the car refusing to go forwards at all. Terrible hot acrid smell from near side rear wheel. Tried it in reverse...nothing doing, also in***** again, nothing. At first I thought the prop shaft or a coupling had broken, but on inspection it looks ok. What do you think it might be? Thanks v much for reading this. ***** *****
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: I think that's all the details I can come up with....might it be the handbrake cable, or maybe the parking brake shoes inside the drum? Sorry, as you can realise I'm not very mechanical...
JA: OK got it. Last thing — Mitsubishi Mechanics generally expect a deposit of about $18 to help with your type of question (you only pay if satisfied). Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: Mitsubishi
Expert:  Doug replied 8 months ago.
Hi, Have you elevated the rear of the truck and seen if you have any slop in the rear wheels... like they move 10 degrees then jam, or rather that they are absolutely dead-stuck?Is this a 4WD or 2WD model?
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Its a 4WD model and the wheels move a little bit and then jam
Expert:  Doug replied 8 months ago.
Thanks.If they are moving a little bit and jamming my primary concern would be the rear differential.Are you comfortable lifting the back wheels off the ground again, unbolting the prop shaft from the differential (just four nuts/bolts) then seeing if you are able to rotate the wheels farther?