Doug
Doug, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  Mitsubishi employed and Factory trained ASE certified technician
21364095

I have a 2003 eclipse spdyer and the radio clock display is

Customer Question

I have a 2003 eclipse spdyer and the radio clock display is non functional. I just purchased the vehicle from a dealer, and he said it is burned out. I purchased a replacement unit, but cant spend alot of money to get it installed. Are there instructions or a service manual that speaks to this?
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: Pretty much that is the issue, My Name is Dan
JA: OK got it. Last thing — Mitsubishi Mechanics generally expect a deposit of about $18 to help with your type of question (you only pay if satisfied). Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: Mitsubishi
Expert:  Doug replied 8 months ago.
Hi,Installation of the radio/clock display is pretty easy on this model, however before we do that would you mind making a few quick checks? We see this complaint all the time and have yet to see one that has burned out (discolored sometimes, but not totally inoperative)... however there are two issues we do see that cause these to stop working. Go to the drivers end of the dash and remove the fuse panel cover. Verify the fuses are intact, specifically the ones marked for cigarette lighter and accessory outlet (looks like a electrical plug).If those are intact, take a look at the fuse chart and make sure that any blanks in the chart do not have fuses installed in the fuse panel. If there is a fuse certain empty fuse locations it will cause malfunction. If all is correct and we do suspect the display is at fault it can be changed with just philips screw drivers. Feel under the radio/ac panel and you will find two philips screws point up into the bottom. Remove these. Grab the bottom/rear of this surround panel and gently rock it upward (like an old garage door) to release it from the metal clips up top. Go slow and easy on this... these dashes are famous for shattering like glass if you are forceful with them.Once the panel is released, unplug the hazard switch and set the panel aside.Look at the hood/cover of the display... if you see two philips screws at the front of it, remove them (later models dropped the mounting screws), and then gently pry up to release the plastic clips holding it in.Once removed you will have access to the display panel. There are philips screws on either side holding it in. Remove them and lift the display up so you can unplug it. Then install in the reverse order.You may see a ground wire attached behind one of the philips screws (passenger side usually). If you have this, be sure to get the mounting screw through it on assembly as well.
Expert:  Doug replied 8 months ago.
If you need more help just let me know, I will be here off and on throughout the day.
Expert:  Doug replied 8 months ago.
What is the Radio/AC panel? My eclipse is a GTS convertible with an stock infinity 6 disk changer. The display is an eyebrow almost on top of the dash. Are the instructions the same? Hi,The radio/ac trim panel is the large center panel that goes around the AC, the radio, the two center AC vents and the hazard button.This needs to come off before you can remove the hood from the display, and finally the display.
Expert:  Doug replied 8 months ago.
I went ahead and closed your other question since it was related/followup to this one.