Doug
Doug, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  Mitsubishi employed and Factory trained ASE certified technician
21364095

Ca JA: Would you mind explaining that? Customer: suv runs

Customer Question

ca
JA: Would you mind explaining that?
Customer: suv runs but only in two cilinders.all fuel injectors work.tested coil packs by swapping out.they all work.changed cam sensor.
JA: The mechanics have tons of experience in that area. Are those all of the "symptoms"?
Customer: yes
JA: Anything else I can tell the Mitsubishi Mechanic before I connect you two?
Customer: no
JA: Got it. Let's get this figured out. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Mitsubishi Mechanic about your situation and connect you two. You'll be on the road in no time.
Category: Mitsubishi
Expert:  Doug replied 8 months ago.
Hi,What sort of vehicle is this we are working on?
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
its an 02 montero sport 3.5 i washed the engine last night and this morning i when on the freeway and it stalled.i tow it back home about 30 miles.i start checking it and codes are random miss fire and egr aux valve.but it starts and runs.really rough.changed the cam sensor cause it was easy and the cable was fraid.the injectors all work.but it doesnt have a negetaive signal to two of the coil packs.
Expert:  Doug replied 8 months ago.
Thanks.When you see the trigger signal drop like that one two coils you generally are looking at one of the following:PTU ("ignition module") failurePCM (computer) failureTiming belt jumped a few teeth (causes computer to shut down two coils). Of course there is the possibility of wiring related issues, it is highly unlikely considering the order of events. Likewise, it would be very coincidental for the timing to jump just then... it is more likely that something did not like getting wet, which directs us the PTU and PCM.Do you have a test meter and feel comfortable doing some tests on the PTU?
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Yes.ive got test meter
Expert:  Doug replied 8 months ago.
Great.The PTU is the ~4" square flat module in the top center of the engine area, mounted vertically. There are two connectors sticking out the top of it, a three pin and a six pin. Unplug the six pin and measure voltage between ground a pin 1 (blue wire) while cranking, then pin 2 (black/yellow wire) while cranking and finally pin 3 (white wire) while cranking.Let me know what the voltage is on each pin while cranking.
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Blue wire is .2 and black/yellow is .8
Expert:  Doug replied 8 months ago.
And the white?