Doug
Doug, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  Mitsubishi employed and Factory trained ASE certified technician
21364095

Mitsubishi Lancer GTS: Doug, I have a Mitsubishi Lancer

Customer Question

Hi Doug, I have a Mitsubishi Lancer GTS with the premium built in Navigation system with music server, Sirius satellite radio, regular AM/FM and CD player. My radio and satellite radio tend to cut out a lot. The dealer says the modulator is outdated, but that the only way to upgrade that feature is to replace the entire unit at a cost of around $1,400. I have a limited income right now and that is TOO steep for me. Any other suggestions? The system cuts out so frequently at times that it makes trying to listen to music frustrating and annoying. THANK YOU for your advice.
Category: Mitsubishi
Expert:  Doug replied 8 months ago.
Hi, I would assume at this point that since someone has looked at it they have already verified the connections on the radio and amplifier are all tight.If the cutting out is only AM/FM/Satellite then an internal issue in the MMCS (radio/navi) unit is most likely.... in this case your most affordable options would be to send the radio out for repair (most dealerships use H and R Radio Repair in Pennsylvania), which usually starts around $250 depending on the failure point, or to get a used MMCS unit which can vary in the $300-700 range depending on the source.Obviously a new MMCS is cost prohibitive, and getting into an aftermarket unit will be at least as expensive as a used MMCS and will be less functional and less desirable for resale of the car too. If however you are having the audio cut out on all functions (including music server and CD) then we would want to investigate the amplifier as they are very common to fail on these and result in all audio sources cutting out. In that instance a new or used Mitsubishi amplifier is the only solution... aftermarket amplifiers can not be used.