john aka eauto
john aka eauto, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  16 years ase certified

My service engine soon light came on and I'm not sure if I

Customer Question

my service engine soon light came on and I'm not sure if I should drive it
JA: The mechanics have tons of experience in that area. Are those all of the "symptoms"?
Customer: yes it still runs great
JA: Anything else I can tell the Mitsubishi Mechanic before I connect you two?
Customer: not really
JA: Got it. Let's get this figured out. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Mitsubishi Mechanic about your situation and connect you two. You'll be on the road in no time.
Category: Mitsubishi
Expert:  john aka eauto replied 6 months ago.
is it on solid or flashing?
if its on solid its safe to drive if its flashing have it towedThe check engine light comes on when the on-board computer detects a fault in engine driveability or performance, transmission control system or transmission, or the emissions system, and a fault code is set and stored in the computer. Faults that can set the check engine light can range from a vaccuum leak, engine mis-fire, low engine compression, faulty sensor such as O2 sensor or other engine sensor, hydraulic pressure loss in transmission, transmission shift solenoid, open/short in wiring harness, emission evaporative system leak, or one of over a hundred different reasons.The only way to know what set a fault code and turned the check engine light on is to have a diagnostic scanner hooked up to the on-board computer and read it for stored diagnostic fault codes. Many auto parts stores will do this service for free- (like auto zone)check with you local parts stores. If none in your area do, then you will have to take it to a shop and pay to have the computer read for stored fault codes