Doug
Doug, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  Mitsubishi employed and Factory trained ASE certified technician
21364095

04 mitsubishi endeavor with low spark in cylinder 4 & 6(3.

Customer Question

04 mitsubishi endeavor with low spark in cylinder 4 & 6(3.8L)?
Category: Mitsubishi
Expert:  Doug replied 8 months ago.
Hi, Can you elaborate on low spark? Is it weaker on those coils, non existent?
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Yes. The spark is weaker on 4 & 6. Coils were changed and still an uneven idle in those cylinders
Expert:  Doug replied 8 months ago.
I apologize for the delay, I had a brief outage during the time when you returned.If you swap either of the coils with coil #2 does the #4 or #6 location remain weak or does it seem to operate normally with the #2 coil in place?And as a follow up, were these factory coils or aftermarket coils you replaced with (I ask because we have considerable reliability issues with aftermarket coils on this model)?
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
They are aftermarket and the idle is weak. The car starts fine cold but after warms up becomes hard to start. Definitely a miss on the 4 and 6 cylinder .
Expert:  Doug replied 8 months ago.
Thanks. Assuming the coils are not the problem, have the plugs been examined to make sure they are in good health? Can you compression test the front bank of cylinders so we have a good idea of the internal health of the engine?