Doug
Doug, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  Mitsubishi employed and Factory trained ASE certified technician
21364095

Was having an Intermittent start problem but now it won't

Customer Question

Was having an Intermittent start problem but now it won't start at all just put in a new. Crank sensor all fuses are good
JA: Tell me a bit more about what's going on so he can help you best. Are you hoping to fix this yourself?
Customer: Yes I'm trying to fix it myself it cranks over but won't fire
JA: Great! What have you tried so far?
Customer: Checked fuses replaced crank sensor
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Mitsubishi Mechanic should know about your Mitsubishi?
Customer: Just it was an Intermittent problem but now it won't start at all for an example when it was an Intermittent problem I tried to start it three times in a Half hour span then my son came over and it fired right up for him
JA: I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Mitsubishi Mechanic about your situation and connect you two.
Category: Mitsubishi
Expert:  Doug replied 1 year ago.

What sort of vehicle is this we are working on?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
2007 eclipse
Expert:  Doug replied 1 year ago.

Thanks.

When the problem is occurring and it won't start, do you have spark while cranking?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It has no spark
Expert:  Doug replied 1 year ago.

Thanks.

I know you mentioned changing the crank sensor... when you did, was it with a genuine Mitsubishi sensor purchased from a dealership (nothing from an auto part store, even if they swore it was genuine)?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No it wasn't
Expert:  Doug replied 1 year ago.

Thanks.

Before doing anything else, lets get a genuine Mitsubishi crank sensor on there.

When it comes to losing spark you only have a few possible options... the crank sensor of course, the computer and the ignition key (after repeated attempts to start with the wrong key), and of course the wiring in between and fuses etc.

The wiring isn't going to come and go like that, nor is a fuse failure. A key problem would not show a spark loss until usually 20-30 attempts (it shuts down fuel first then only spark as a last effort to prevent theft) nor does it usually come and go.

The crank sensor however.... would behave this way, and aftermarket crank sensors are 100% known for this problem on Mitsubishis. There is basically no such thing as a good aftermarket hall effect type sensor for Mitsubishis.

Lets get a genuine crank sensor on there and re-evaluate... you should resolve your current issue doing that.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok
Expert:  Doug replied 1 year ago.

I'm here daily if you find you need more help.