Doug
Doug, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  Mitsubishi employed and Factory trained ASE certified technician
21364095

Are u there? I have a 2001 Mitsubishi galant 4 cylinder; on

Customer Question

are u there?
JA: I'm here.
Customer: I have a 2001 Mitsubishi galant 4 cylinder; on the intake manifold, there are two sensors mounted; one is the MDP; the other one I can't find any information on it; it has the following number stamped on it: ###-##-#### ***** can't find any information on it; can u tell me what it is
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself?
Customer: yes
JA: Great! What have you tried so far?
Customer: I was curious what it was, because I could not find any information about it; even the auto store doesn't know what it is; all I can tell u is, if I disconnect it, the car will not start; there is nothing wrong with it, I just wanted to know what it's called, and why I can't find info on it
JA: Is there anything else the Mitsubishi Mechanic should be aware of about your Mitsubishi?
Customer: nope.........I was just exploring
JA: I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Mitsubishi Mechanic about your situation and connect you two.
Category: Mitsubishi
Expert:  Doug replied 8 months ago.

Would it be possible to get a photo of the part you are looking at? I suspect it is the ignition failure sensor by the general location but would like to know for certain .

Expert:  Doug replied 8 months ago.

Here is a photo I found that should speed things up... is it the component circled in green?

Expert:  Doug replied 8 months ago.

It looks like we've missed each other.

If it is the circled item above (if not let me know and I can address the correction), then that would be the ignition failure sensor.

The ignition failure sensor is not very well known particularly among independent shops and auto parts stores... you pretty much have to talk to a Mitsubishi person to get any familiarity with it. The reason for this is that it was only used for about 3 years with the 2.4 engine (~98-~01), so there isn't a lot of exposure to general mechanics and parts jockeys etc.

The purpose of the ignition failure sensor is not exactly what it sounds... it is more like a fusible link for the ignition system. If the ignition failure sensor picks up a heavy load from one of the coils (indicating a shorted coil) the ignition failure sensor will blow out preventing current from reaching the coils, in turn protecting the computer from a dead short. This was later replaced with just a traditional fuse protection for 2002+ models.

Testing the sensor is pretty easy for the most part.... if the engine runs, you know it is good of course. If the engine does not run, then unplug an ignition coil and check for voltage with the key on... if there is voltage, the ignition failure sensor is working; if there is no voltage, it may be blown out.

Basically.... it interrupts the 12V supply to the two coils, so as long as your coils have 12V with the key on, the ignition failure sensor is OK.

Expert:  Doug replied 8 months ago.

Did you need further help with this or are you all set?