Doug
Doug, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  Mitsubishi employed and Factory trained ASE certified technician
21364095

I have lancer 2000 two door. Was stolen and dumped in creek.

Customer Question

I have lancer 2000 two door. Was stolen and dumped in creek. the auto transmission got water, but ran okay in all gears, but slipped a bit and would jump when stopped in gear. I had a power flush and after this, immediately had lost 1st, 2nd, and drive, and now when driving the light on the dash next to neutral flashes. the mechanic said when he got the car it only had 3rd, neutral , reverse and park. This is not true, so I think he was setting me up for a second repair bill. Any ideas? Thank you
Category: Mitsubishi
Expert:  Doug replied 8 months ago.

There are two things to note in this situation:

1) If water gets inside the transmission, the friction discs used for the clutches and brakes will deteriorate very quickly. They have a paper-like construction and the water will cause them to basically fall apart, as if they had been burned up from long term use. This will happen pretty quickly... within a few dozen miles it will usually result in failure, though if it is removed immediately you can sometimes avoid internal work. It is far from a guarantee though, especially in the long term. The act of flushing after a water issue occurred could theoretically accelerate the failure.

2) If the vehicle goes into transmission fail safe the N light will flash and you will have Park, Reverse, Neutral and 3rd gear. Whether you put the shifter in Drive or Low, you still will have 3rd gear. This is the computers way of protecting the transmission from causing any further damage in the event that whatever it saw "wrong" was capable of causing damage.

So with all that said.... While it is unlikely it was anything they did wrong (though very likely was a result of the flush), the fault codes placing it in fail safe would certainly go a long way toward indicating one way or the other what happened, so finding out what faults are set should be a priority before making any judgment on what happened between when you left the vehicle and when you picked it up.

Expert:  Doug replied 8 months ago.

It looks like we missed each other and I am heading out for the night. If you would like to discuss this further just reply back here and I will get with you upon my return.