Doug, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  Mitsubishi employed and Factory trained ASE certified technician

My abs and asc light came on while driving my 2010

Customer Question

my abs and asc light came on while driving my 2010 Mitsubishi what can be matter
Category: Mitsubishi
Expert:  Doug replied 7 months ago.

There are two common problems that exist on this platform with regard to the ABS/ASC lights coming.

First and foremost, the wheel speed sensors are extremely common to fail on this matter. These are the sensors at each wheel that have the thin wire connecting them up to the body of the car to read the wheel revolutions. Since this model came out in 2007 they have had fairly consistent failures on these... it is rare to see one that hasn't had a speed sensor failure at some point by the time it is 5 years old or so.

To determine which sensor is at fault you must get the vehicle on a scan tool with Mitsubishi ABS support (an OBD code reader is not sufficient). Once the corner of the car affected is determined the speed sensor/wire can be replaced... they are a bit pricey but luckily labor is minimal... they only take about 30 minutes to change one.

The other consideration we have specifically with 2010 models is we see the ABS pumps fail on this particular year only. Luckily since your lights came on while driving, it is very unlikely that this is the case in your scenario. The pump failures always seem to occur as a result of a dead battery and usually come on immediately after that is resolved. They do not often turn the lights on while driving.

In either scenario... of course getting the code scanned will identify which issue it is... and again you are nearly certain to be dealing with a wheel speed sensor which is just a straight forward replacement once verified and which one.

The ABS system is only covered under the bumper to bumper 5 year 60,000 mile warranty... so it would most likely be out of warranty in your instance unless your vehicle was sold very late (left over model from the previous year etc). If your miles are low and you think this may be the case with regard to the sale date I'd be happy to check for your if you provide your VIN.

Let me know if you need any clarification or have any follow ups. I know this vehicle inside and out and would be happy to assist you further if necessary.

Expert:  Doug replied 7 months ago.

It looks like we missed each other, and I am going to be leaving for the night very shortly. If you need more help just post back here and I will get with you as soon as I return.