Doug, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  Mitsubishi employed and Factory trained ASE certified technician

I have a 2002 Galant that has no power at all. I have

Customer Question

Hello Doug I have a 2002 Galant that has no power at all. I have replace the ignition switch, key turn lock, the starter and replace the battery. Still does not have any power to the dash or anything else. Have any ideas on what could be going on.
Category: Mitsubishi
Expert:  Doug replied 7 months ago.

You literally have nothing at all, no headlight operation, no power locks...nothing key on or off right?

When the battery was replaced, it was a brand new one right?

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
brand new battery from Auto Zone
Expert:  Doug replied 7 months ago.

Do you have a volt meter we can use?

Expert:  Doug replied 7 months ago.

If you do we want to make sure the main fusible link is still good. On the top of the positive battery terminal you'll see a plastic piece bolted on with one 12mm bolt and one 10mm nut. What we want to do is make sure that both the 12mm and the 10mm nut are both showing 12V when measured against the battery negative terminal.

If you do not have a volt meter, we can at the least do a visual inspection of the fusible link through the small inspection window on the top (right in front of the 10mm nut).

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
No just a basic light tester. I have tested all wire leading into the vehicle, all tested good. Power is flowing up to that point. That was why I replace the ignition switch and turn key lock.
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
There is just a regular post connection. No fuse box
Expert:  Doug replied 7 months ago.

That's not good... how many cables are attached to the positive terminal?

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Looks like three that are connected together.
Expert:  Doug replied 7 months ago.

Thanks, ***** ***** are large and one small?

To the best of your ability with the test light, it appeared that all fuses in the under hood fuse panel had power (except the headlight fuses)?

Expert:  Doug replied 7 months ago.

(that includes the larger fusible links with the windows on top)

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Need to test the fuses only look to see if they where burned out
Expert:  Doug replied 7 months ago.

Lets do that, as we need to know if power is in fact reaching the fuse box, all fuses and larger links need to be checked except the ones marked for lighting... those will not have power.

We definitely would prefer a volt meter here, but a test light is certainly better than nothing.

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Hello sorry I have not responded I broke my phone. Update on the car I replaced the fusion link fuse on the positive terminal. I have power but found that the fuel pump had stop working. I have replace the fuel pump and can hear it when I turn the key. The engine cranks but does not start. I have replaced all spark plugs and found a lot of oil on the last plug, to the far left. I also notice that the coolant is low but no signs of leaks. Any ideas
Expert:  Doug replied 7 months ago.

No problem... thats some progress!

When you crank the engine, do you have spark?

When you turn the key to On, does the Service Engine Soon light do its bulb test?

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
from what I see it does have a spark. And yes all lights come on and then go off. The check engine light does not stay on
Expert:  Doug replied 7 months ago.

So we have good spark and the engine light is working, that rules out a good amount of possibilities.

If you take the oil cap off and have a helper crank the engine, can you see movement inside the engine?

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Hello Doug I had a helper crank the engine. Every thing is moving but it appears that I have also found the problem. There's a small piece of metal bouncing around on the inside as it cranks. I believe I have a broken valve or piston.
Expert:  Doug replied 7 months ago.

Ouch, that's not what we wanted to see!

Lets get a closer look to confirm.... luckily this valve cover is pretty easy to remove. Just unbolt the coils, remove both coils and both plug wires, remove the two vapor hoses, then remove the six bolts holding the valve cover on (and one holding the throttle cable, if it is still present). Then give the valve cover a few taps with a mallet and it should pull up without too much effort.

Then you can get a better look at what is going on in there... if you broke a rocker, if a valve spring or retainer broke, etc. Note that there are small metal spacers that go on the rocker shafts that sometimes deteriorate too which would not be a major issue if that is the case... this is why we want to get a better look to be sure.

If there is any sort of valve train damage, then the ideal solution would be to either pull the head and take it to a machine shop for refurbishing, or purchase an already rebuilt head to replace it with.

Again before we go down that path though lets get the valve cover pulled off and see if we can confirm that failure more precisely so we can determine if it would be relative to your no-start condition

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
There is clip that has broken off it is mangled
Expert:  Doug replied 7 months ago.

That's just the spring clip I mentioned before, that is OK... it will need to be replaced (it keeps the rockers centered) but it won't prevent running and is unlikely to be related to your current condition (it may have been like that for a year).

With the cover off, give it another crank and make sure you are seeing all valves operating.