Doug
Doug, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  Mitsubishi employed and Factory trained ASE certified technician
21364095

We have a problem with the colt 2007 where it is popping out

Customer Question

Hi Pearl, we have a problem with the colt 2007 where it is popping out of gear so we have had the gear box and flywheel changed but it still pops out of gear and the light on the dash is not working either so i am guessing it maybe electrical? Is this a simple fix, or is it a major problem?
JA: My old Jeep sounds like a steam radiator sometimes. It must be old age. The Mitsubishi Mechanic will know what your noise means and what to do about it. Are you hoping to fix this yourself?
Customer: if it is simple yes but if technical i will get a mechanic
JA: Is there anything else the Mitsubishi Mechanic should be aware of about your Mitsubishi?
Customer: no all parts are new but still the same problem
JA: Our top Mitsubishi Mechanic is ready to take your case. Just pay the $5 fully refundable deposit and I'll fill the Mitsubishi Mechanic in on everything we've discussed. You can go back and forth with the Mitsubishi Mechanic until you're 100% satisfied. We guarantee it.
Category: Mitsubishi
Expert:  Doug replied 9 months ago.

Can you clarify if this is a manual or automatic gear box that is popping out of gear?

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Auto Doug
Expert:  Doug replied 9 months ago.

Thanks.

When you say it pops out of gear, is it pretty much like you are switched to Neutral with no reaction at all from the gas pedal (just free revving)?

When this happens, does moving the shifter out and back into Drive resolve the issue, does the key have to be cycled off to resolve the issue, or does it not resolve without time elapsing etc?

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
well semi auto
Expert:  Doug replied 9 months ago.

Semi auto.... an automatic with tip tronic style option, or is it a twin clutch (SST) manual transmission with automated shifting?

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Yeah it pops into neutral then goes back when we move it back into gear. Don't know over semi gearbox but I think it is just the trip tronic
Expert:  Doug replied 9 months ago.

Thanks, you'd know if it was an SST most likely. They usually have a well marked SST switch on the console to change shift modes.

I know this sounds pretty basic, but have we tried adjusting the shift linkage to make sure it is not just electrically going to neutral? The transmission end of the shift cable has a large plastic switch that tells the computer what gear is selected, and if it is slightly out of adjustment this behavior will occur.

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
I am not technical or mechanically minded Doug so can you simplify how I could do it?
Expert:  Doug replied 9 months ago.

Well you would need to get to the transmission cable under the transmission. On it you would find a 12mm nut on the cable end holding it to a slotted metal bracket sticking out of the center of the transmission range switch. You would loosen the 12mm nut but do not remove it, then as the cable rests in its new position, tighten down the nut. That is the most basic adjustment.

If it persists you can do further adjustments by manually selecting neutral and placing the shifter in neutral and performing the same operation (it is a tighter range of travel there).

If it still persists, then one step further you can loosen the two bolts holding the range switch and it has some fine adjustment on it too where it can be rotated a few degrees in either direction.

If doing all of this still does not clear up the condition... then we are most likely looking at something internal to the transmission (be it mechanical/hydraulic or something electrical like a solenoid). This is pretty unlikely though since you changed out the box already and if I understood correctly the behavior is identical?

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Thanks Doug i will ttry this.
Expert:  Doug replied 9 months ago.

You're welcome.

Give that a go and hopefully that should resolve things. If it does not, then we would have to consider that perhaps the replacement box is no good, or something happened during install to cause issues (fluid over/under filled, something in the wiring pinched, etc).

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Hi Doug, unfortunately that has not worked I have taken it into someone I know and he said it is an electonic gear selector? Would that sound right as I would not want to be spending money if it is not this is all. Thanks
Expert:  Doug replied 8 months ago.

The position switch is certainly possible, though generally if there is any difficulty with it in the capacity you describe then adjusting it would correct the issue.

I would be hesitant to replace it if an adjustment did not correct it in any capacity. With your symptoms if it were the position switch we would have expected at the least that the problem became less or more frequent by adjusting the cable. If there was no change at all, the odds of replacing the switch correcting things are very slim. The only way you could test this would be to put the vehicle on a diagnostic computer that can do data logging and monitor the gear position indication while driving, and when it drops it would either show the gear selection stay the same (not related to the switch) or the selection drops (would be related to the switch).