Doug
Doug, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  Mitsubishi employed and Factory trained ASE certified technician
21364095

I have a 2005 Mitsubishi galant srs light is on and I can

Customer Question

I have a 2005 Mitsubishi galant srs light is on and I can not get the snap on scanner to communicate with the air bag module to get codes I check continuity from the obd 2 plug to srs module is ok I check power at the srs module and is getting 12 v
Category: Mitsubishi
Expert:  Doug replied 9 months ago.

Please check the following wires for me. On the larger SRS ecu connector please check pins 23 (black/white) and 24 (black/yellow) to make sure both have 12V with the key on.

Pins 23 and 24 are on the top row, third in from either side (the ones right before the gap on either side).

Then check pin 40 (black) on the same connector for constant ground. Pin 40 is on the bottom row, 3rd from the left as you look at the wire side of the connector.

Let me know what you find on all three pins.

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
pin 23 & 24 have battery voltage 12.5
Pin 40 has good ground
Any other suggestions? thank you.
Expert:  Doug replied 9 months ago.

Thanks.

If pins 23 and 24 have 12V and 40 has ground, and as well your communication wires have full continuity, then that would only leave either a failed SRS ecu or an issue with the scan tool.
I take it the software is relatively up to date (last 3 years or so) to have Mitsubishi SRS support?

If it is one of the advanced scanners (verus, solus) have you rebooted the scan tool just in case something glitched there?
Was the vehicle in an accident or did the SRS light just come on out of nowhere?

Expert:  Doug replied 9 months ago.

Additionally (and if there was no associated accident before the light came on), take a look in the in dash fuse panel and make sure the fuse placement matches the chart on the cover... specifically making sure there are no "extra" fuses. I have on an occasion or two seen the earlier Galants get a fuse put in a blank and cause immobilizer communication to fail... I suppose it is possible on this later one to see similar behavior.

If there is nothing unusual there and no communication after a tool reboot... I would perhaps try a different scan tool just in case there is some sort of conflict happening. If still nothing, with the powers and grounds and comm lines verified, I'd have nothing else to suspect but the ecu itself failing. If there was an accident prior to this condition this would be not too surprising as I have seen a few of these burn out during deployment. If it just happened out of nowhere this would be a little surprising though.... while we see these ecus fail from time to time, they usually do so by setting about 25 faults but not losing communication.

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
I'll check the fuses. I did try 3 different scan tools (2 snap on, 1 mac scanner)what is a tool reboot?
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
We can see engine and transmission data on the scan tool, but no airbag or abs data on the scanner.
Expert:  Doug replied 9 months ago.

I mean rebooting the scan tool... only an issue if you are using one of the newer Snap On units like Verus etc. They have some problems with communicating from time to time and rebooting them seems to fix it.

If you are not having any communication with ABS either (and vehicle is ABS equipped of course... it is not standard on this year/model) then there may be more going on than just the SRS communication issue. In that case I would recommend getting it on a MUT3 and run the CAN diagnosis application (there are no third party tools that can do this unfortunately) to make sure the bus lines are not picking up any interference or open circuits etc that could cause them to drop off.