Doug
Doug, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  Mitsubishi employed and Factory trained ASE certified technician
21364095

Has there been a problem with a 2010 eclipse GT when plugged

Customer Question

Has there been a problem with a 2010 eclipse GT when plugged in to the inspection computer, the inspection station failed mine because it cannot pick up the obd test. computer gets no reading from auto. it's the 3rd try, after about a dozen inspections that went fine. the blue light on the cord comes on but computer says trying and then says trying again.
Category: Mitsubishi
Expert:  Christopher Trevino replied 9 months ago.

Hello there, Although I am NOT a Honda Technician, I have first hand experience with this type f symptom and I'd like to help assist you if possible. Typically if the oil level is good and you get this light intermittently on and off , its typically a shorted wire from the oil pressure sending unit to the engine block or some other wire ect. Can you locate the oil pressure sensor and check for shorted or opened wire from here. Its usually a one wire sensor plugged into the side of the engine block . If you can provide the year and engine size I may be able to research more info for you,

Thank you so much,

-Chris

Hello, it appears there was a technical issue that responded my answer to another question here. Please disregard. Sorry for the inconvenience. Thank you.

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
It's not a Honda, and it's only the inspection, the Mitsubishi eclipse is not talking to the computer but the cord light from the computer when plugged into the car tells us it connected
Expert:  Doug replied 9 months ago.

Having a communication issue on this model is normally going to be associated with either a compatibility issue with the scanner or a scanner being hooked up while the key is on rather than connecting the scan tool with the key off, then turning it on.

This particular era (2001+) Mitsubishis can be real finicky in this respect.

If there is any question about the scan tool they are using being different from the previous year etc, then before doing anything else I would take it to an auto parts store and get a "Free code scan" just to see if they can communicate. If they can, then you know the problem in on the inspection stations end, be it with a new tool that doesn't easily get along with these newer Mitsubishis, or a connection issue (connecting it while the key is on/running, which again can cause problems on this model).

If there is no communication from a different scan tool and/or the test stations tool is confirmed the same one that was used previously then I would be going straight to both fuse boxes and making two inspections... first that all fuses are intact and second that there are no extra fuses. We have run into issues where people have put fuses into fuse blanks on this model and caused the communication to drop. So any spot on the fuse panel diagram (especially the dash one) that is shown blank you want to make sure it is empty.

The thing to remember here is that communication to the computer is strictly a matter of two wires going from the OBD connector to the computer and one power wire (which you know is good if the scanner is showing power). There is nothing special in between, and since the engine runs we know the computer is not faulty (there have been zero instances of this being a computer issue, and these computers while rarely failing anyway always fail in a way that more or less makes the engine inoperative). It is highly unlikely that there is anything wrong with the wires, as unless you have had rodent damage or someone pulling the wiring apart for repairs/modifications, there isn't any reason for them to be an issue. It really just comes down to the scan tool compatibility, the connection to the port, and the fuses.