Doug
Doug, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  Mitsubishi employed and Factory trained ASE certified technician
21364095

Any ideas that would cause this

Customer Question

Any ideas that would cause this
Category: Mitsubishi
Expert:  Andrew Martin replied 9 months ago.

What's the issue you are having?

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
02 eclipse spyder gt 3.0 v6... friday it drove fine saturday i had new plugs and wires put in after we put everything back together started it up the rpm did the normal thing and it just died tried it again gently tap the gas pedal again the rpm went up a little more due to tappin the gas pedal and it died so we decided to re check everything took all the things apart that we did the first time making sure we had everything in tightly and snug double checked the firing order for the plugs and same thing happened
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
9:30am the car drives fine 7 hours later new plugs and wires car still sittin same place i parked at 9:30 its crazy everything was put on the way it was nothing was left off or left out the plugs are ngk new wires as well from oreillys auto parts

So it runs fine now right? I mean it sounds to me like it might have been flooded, usually when a car is stalling and then you let it sit for a while and it starts up fine its because it was flooded. Letting it sit lets the fuel run down into the crankcase and out of the cylinders. That would be my guess.

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
No it wont run it ran before putting new plugs and wires in now if you start it up itl just idle out and turn off if i was to drive my car id have to come to a red light or stop sign put it in nuetral tap the gas pedal so it dosent die and then put it in drive. But i havent done that bcuz i know thatl be bad on the engine it is an automatic too

Have you made sure that there are no vacuum lines unhooked anywhere? Also, did you replace the intake manifold gaskets?

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
we replaced that as well no vac leaks we unhooked the battery as well both times since we had to redo everything to double everthing
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
This whole repair took over 8 hours
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Still no car to drive lol it sucks

The only thing to do if you are positive that the firing order is correct and there are no leaks is just triple check that everything is plugged in and connected tightly. I know you said that you already did but if it was running before something has to be missing since it is not running now

I have seen so many times just a small ground or some tiny connector that I missed and the car won't run. Just have to be sure, follow the harness and make sure everything is connected tightly

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Im gonna check everything again and i will let you know what happens

OK sounds good.

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Checked everything on car keep in mind yesterday only changed plugs and wires it was cold the last 24 hours also i drove the car to the garage to have the plugs n wires done after the plugs n wires was put on car would start in park and then would die so we had to restart the car put it in neutral while lightly tapn the gas pedal to keep it from dying parked it outside came out today to check everything and now the cranks but it wont start we also had the battery off while we put new plugs and wires on we looked over everything 3 times now i noticed the dash lights was diming out a little but it wouldnt start it just cranks

Alright, not sure I can help you any longer so I'm gonna open this up to other experts.

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Ok
Expert:  Doug replied 9 months ago.

When the engine is started now, apart from the dying does it feel relatively normal prior to the stalling? Like it does not feel as if it is running on 4 cylinders or anything like that right?

If it does seem to run OK apart from the stalling, was the throttle cleaned after the job? This is required any time you have the power disconnected to the engine else you will end up with rough idle/stalling.

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Its a v6 when u start it itl just idle n die turn the key 5 seconds later it dies
Expert:  Doug replied 9 months ago.

And if you give it just slight application of the throttle, does it remain running and seem normal (like all six cylinders are firing)?