Doug
Doug, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  Mitsubishi employed and Factory trained ASE certified technician
21364095

I have a 97 mitsubishi montero sport with a broken bypass

Customer Question

I have a 97 mitsubishi montero sport with a broken bypass light how can I bypass the alarm lockout if the light to push is broke
Category: Mitsubishi
Expert:  Doug replied 9 months ago.

Do you want top just get it back to the state it was in before the alarm was tripped? If so you can unhook the negative terminal, insert the key into the ignition and turn it to on, then reattach the negative battery terminal.

Or are you looking for a way to permanently remove the alarm?

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Tried that did not work is there another way
Expert:  Doug replied 9 months ago.

Thanks. What exactly is the truck doing when you try to start it?

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
The truck started at 7:30 this morning with no problem. Took kids to school and back home 35 minutes later tried to start it to take other kids to school and would not start. Jumped it and it started. After turning it off would not restart even with jumping it. Door ding and dash lights come on when key is turned but makes no effort to start.
Expert:  Doug replied 9 months ago.

Thanks.

This would be unrelated to the alarm.

Your primary suspects here would be battery, then ignition switch, then starter.

What you would want to do is first get the battery load tested to make sure it is holding full amperage capacity. If it is, then the next step would be to wait until the problem is present and then detach the small signal wire from the starter and check it for 12V when the key is turned to Start. If there is 12V there but the starter is not operating, the starter is faulty. Be aware it is strongly recommended to stay with factory starters on this model as it is extremely common for aftermarket ones to not fit properly.

If there is not 12V on that signal wire when the problem is occurring and the key is in the Start position, then you have a control issue, which wiring aside would be limited to the ignition switch or the neutral safety switch. In this case, try starting the truck in Neutral instead of Park and see if there is any change.... if it starts, the safety switch is faulty; if it does not, the ignition switch is faulty (extremely common, way more than the safety switch).

Expert:  Doug replied 8 months ago.

I noticed it had been 24 hours or longer since we spoke without hearing from you. Please let me know if you need further assistance with this or if we can conclude this session.

Thanks!