Doug
Doug, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  Mitsubishi employed and Factory trained ASE certified technician
21364095

I just replaced the fuel pump on a 2004 Endevour AWD

Customer Question

I just replaced the fuel pump on a 2004 Endevour AWD Limited. it drove for a little while and then, it lost all power and stopped. after sitting for about 10 minutes it started back up. there seems to be a hesitation when accelerating then dies
Category: Mitsubishi
Expert:  Doug replied 1 year ago.

If you hold the gas pedal only slightly will it run?
Is this behavior the same as before the pump was replaced or is it different?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
same. its starts up with no problem. it does have a small leak in the tank. it will idle fine for a while
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
it will run a little better with a slight pressure on the pedal
Expert:  Doug replied 1 year ago.

Thanks.

Has this been happening for longer than one tank of fuel?

When was the last time the throttle body was cleaned?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
it started suddenly while driving, I towed it home and it has sat for a few weeks. the throttle body has never been cleaned as far as I know. I bought it used and im not sure what what done to it. it acts fuel starved
Expert:  Doug replied 1 year ago.

Thanks.

Lets pull the intake hose off the throttle body and then take a look in there with the throttle opened... is it all clean/silver or is there gunk in there where the throttle plate rests when closed?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I will have to check?? can it be cleaned without removing it?
Expert:  Doug replied 1 year ago.

Yes, just loosen the two 10mm hoseclamps on the intake hose and slide the small vent host off the back of the intake hose, then the intake hose can be removed.

With the hose removed you can either have a helper depress the gas pedal with the key on while you look inside/clean inside, or if working alone you can leave the key off and open the throttle with one hand while cleaning with the other. Just do not force the throttle opened with the key on.

When cleaning, use a rag soaked in brake cleaner or similar evaporating solvent... do not spray into the throttle.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Its dirty
Expert:  Doug replied 1 year ago.

Lets give it a good cleaning so it is spotless inside there, again only soak a rag and wipe it out or if you have hard deposits you can use a brush followed by wiping it out. Never spray inside. Then when you are done cycle the key on, wait for the clicks under the hood to stop, then cycle off again 3 times to recalibrate.

Reconnect the intake hose completely and compare behavior.

Customer: replied 12 months ago.
didn't help. still dies when the engine warms up
Expert:  Doug replied 12 months ago.

Thanks.

Are you able to check your fuel pressure?

Customer: replied 12 months ago.
no someone looked at it and said it may be in the timing? the tank leaks, but has done that for a long time
Expert:  Doug replied 12 months ago.

Thanks. I wouldn't be worried about the tank leaking... I would double check the vapor hose behind the throttle body though to make sure that it is not reversed with the PCV hose. The PCV hose goes from the intake duct to the valve cover, and the vapor hose goes from the throttle body bracket to the firewall.

Are you able to check the timing? I take it there are no trouble codes though right (usually timing will set P0335/P0340 faults).

Customer: replied 12 months ago.
at first he said a code came up for the camshaft positioning module, or crank shaft? them he said it wasn't that because it disappeared. I don't know what to think
Expert:  Doug replied 12 months ago.

Well that lends so credibility to it being a timing issue. Are you comfortable pulling the timing covers off for inspection?

Customer: replied 12 months ago.
not really. I wouldn't know where to begin. it looks like a crammed up mess. but if I would take them off, what would I be looking for?
Expert:  Doug replied 12 months ago.

It definitely isn't any fun.

WIth the upper covers off the faces of the cam gears have | notches in them, these need to be aligned to the V notches in the valve covers behind them. Then once lined up you can look at the crank pulley which will have a mark on it... there is a scale next to it that reads 30-15-T... it needs to be lined up to the T when the belt is on correctly.

I should add, you would want to only rotate via the crank shaft... never try to rotate the engine by the cams.

Expert:  Doug replied 11 months ago.

Please let me know if you need more help.