George H.
George H., ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  ASE Master tech 15+ years
13574682

Mitsubishi Outlander XLS: Planning on removing the crankshaft

Customer Question

Planning on removing the crankshaft pulley bolt on my 2007 outlander 3.0L V6 using the starter to 'bump' the bolt with a breaker bar/socket immobilizing the pulley bolt (up against a cross member) and hitting the ignition key for a split second... (will make sure car can't start) - any experience with this approach ?
replacing timing belt. Gary H
Category: Mitsubishi
Expert:  George H. replied 9 months ago.
Hello I will help you with your question, I would not suggest doing this. I know others do it but it really is not necessary. How do you plan on torquing the bolt once you replace the belt?
Customer: replied 9 months ago.

I plan on using a rope or cable to hold the pulley from rotating while I torque the bolt back in - I'm assuming tightening should go more easily then loosening..

- the bolt has never been removed ( TB never changed)

I do not have the MD990767 tool...( mits pulley tool)

The torque is 134 ft lbs. If you hold the outside of the pulley the rubber that bonds it to the hub will tear. Most autopart stores have a tool loaner program that sells you the tool and refunds the money when done. They have universal pulley holders in their programs or you can make one of your own as shown here >click< Let me know how I can help but using the starter is not a good practice and you certainly cannot hold the outside of the pulley Thank you
Customer: replied 9 months ago.

George,

For putting bolt back in:

I planned on passing cable/rope thru the slots in the pulley to immobilize the pulley (when tightening back up) - I don't plan on holding the outside of the pulley....

I've seen some pics of this on line...

For loosening:

I'll look into if a local shop has a tool they can lend...

I was hoping the starter approach would not be that risky if I'm careful.. I've seen a lot of feedback online showing it worked for them - albeit not an outlander specifically....

Have you personal experience with an outlander where the starter approach failed (causing other additional problems) or are you advising against it because it is not the normal shop method ?

I can see your point - it is risky, and I would prefer to use a pulley holder if possible..

Another option I considered for loosening is to bring to a local garage and see if the mechanic would be willing to hit the bolt with an impact gun ......to just break the bolt

Thanks,

Gary H.

Sorry the site was down. You cannot run the engine with the crank bolt loose. If you do the balancer can wobble on the crank which will damage the keyway and then you would have to replace the crank and balancer. Let me know how I can help Thank you