Doug
Doug, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  Mitsubishi employed and Factory trained ASE certified technician
21364095

I want to connect with the Mitsubishi mechanic

Customer Question

I want to connect with Doug the Mitsubishi mechanic
Category: Mitsubishi
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Doug,
We discussed the 4wd fluid light weeks ago a few . Turns out that it is leaking and not just the warning light switch. What was a bothersome drip is now a leak that cannot be ignored. It appears to be coming from the bellows. Is there some way to plug off the hydraulic lines to the rear steering? I do not drive aggressively enough to use it. I have seen a kit to completely remove the system that costs $120 but appears to require lots of labor hours costing major $$$ that I would like to avoid
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Doug,Are you there? I am leaving the house now for about 2 hours.Albert
Expert:  Doug replied 9 months ago.

Hi Albert, I am here.

I take it that it is the front rack bellows or rear rack bellows that is leaking?

No worries if we miss each other, we can pick up when convenient.

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
It is the rear rack. Left side significantly, right side slightly
Expert:  Doug replied 9 months ago.

Thanks.

If you are OK with not having the rear steering working you can bypass it without too much effort... any shop should be able to do this with miscellaneous hardware they have lying around.
From under the vehicle there are two hard lines running front/rear for the rear steering, they can follow them off the pump etc to make sure they are on the right lines (not fuel or brake etc).
About 3/4 of the way back the suction and return line switches to two rubber hoses with clamps for about 6-7 inches before going to more hard lines. All they need to do is get some curved oil-safe hose and loop the two lines together, preventing oil from reaching the rear rack.

Be aware that your rear rack will gain some movement doing this.... the oil supply to the rack helps stabilize it some, and that will be gone now. Depending on the severity of the leak, it may already be moving that much already anyway, but it is worth noting. The proper bypass would be to get a bypass kit that usually comes with fixed tie rods to replace the steering rack tie rods. This will accomplish permanent locking of the wheels without any play. This is the best approach for avoiding tire wear etc. The lines can be looped still, or you can go all the way and replace everything with 2WD steering set up, but of course that will add a good bit of cost too.

If you want to keep the system... you might try calling around some of the machine shops in the area and see if any of them do steering rack repairs... all you need are two end seals since you know the leak is coming from the bellows. While it will take some labor to pull the rack out for repair, you're talking about potentially $40 in parts if they can get them and certainly worth a few phone calls to feel it out.

If you just want to be done with it... I strongly recommend at least getting the tie rod kits out there to stabilize the rear wheels. It may be unpredictable with the oil bypassed but the steering linkage still hooked up.

Expert:  Doug replied 9 months ago.

I tried to take your phone call a few times but it appears the site is malfunctioning. I am going to be leaving for the night shortly; If we need to discuss this on the phone we can try again tomorrow perhaps? Just post back here tomorrow I'll be in around 9ET roughly and we can try to reconnect then; else we can also continue here on-site of course too.