Doug
Doug, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  Mitsubishi employed and Factory trained ASE certified technician
21364095

Ive lost my key to my 2002eclipse and im in my car and i

Customer Question

Ive lost my key to my 2002eclipse and im in my car and i took the switch out IT TURNS OVER BUT WANT CRANK BEC ITS NOT FIRING AND NO GAS BEC MY ANTI THEFT IS ON AND WANT GO AWAY IS THERE ANYWAY TO do away with it bec i dont want it on my car anymore
Category: Mitsubishi
Expert:  Doug replied 9 months ago.

The vehicle uses an immobilizer key, without the key being detected it will disable the fuel and ignition when you try to start it.
There is no realistic way to remove this feature... the only ways around it is more expensive and more involved than just replacing the key.

I take it you do not have a spare key perhaps with a family member etc?

Expert:  Doug replied 9 months ago.

It looks like we missed each other; if you do not have access to any other key, you are not going to be able to get the engine started unfortunately.

If you want to bypass the immobilizer you have three options:

1) Get another key, have it programmed to the car, then store the key (or its chip is all you need) inside the steering column so that the correct key signal is detected.

2) Get a RF simulator (most alarm shops will be able to order one of these), mount it in the steering column, then have it programmed (just as you would a key) so that the key signal is detected.

3) Find someone that is extremely familiar with assembly code used in these PCMs, use a tactrix cable and ecuflash or similar software to dump the image file from the PCM and manually disable the immobilizer. While this is something that is done semi-frequently on some Mitsubishis, to date I am not aware of anyone that has been able to decode the Eclipse PCM, at least as far as to be able to modify the immobilizer code.

Your realistic solution is to just get a key and have it programmed. The keys are around $50 typically depending on your dealer, or you can order aftermarket ones from Ebay for usually in the $10-15 range and are usually just fine to use. Then a tow to a dealership or well equipped lock smith to have the key programmed.