Doug
Doug, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  Mitsubishi employed and Factory trained ASE certified technician
21364095

I have a 2001 Diamante LS and I am trying to diagnose some

Customer Question

Hi, I have a 2001 Diamante LS and I am trying to diagnose some electrical issues that all cropped up about the same time. First, my wipers stopped working, then about a week later the alarm would trigger by itself after locking the doors with the interior switch and leaving the car. This would happen about 2-3 minutes after setting the lock and closing the door. The temporary solution was to leave the doors unlocked. This would not trigger the alarm. Last thing is that about a week later I had trouble with the ignition switch not wanting to turn the engine over. This problem grew and now it won't start. I'm pretty sure the last bit is just the battery being drained dead by something. I haven't had time to look into it until now. Thanks for your time, any help is appreciated.
Category: Mitsubishi
Expert:  Doug replied 1 year ago.

Having multiple issues all revolving around the timing control module (ETACS) certainly makes things look really suspicious for it.

The ETACS (Electronic Timing and Alarm Control System) manages everything that involves timing/counting... wipers (for delay operation), the alarm (arm delay), defogger, etc.

Having wipers fail and the alarm malfunctioning in close proximity to each other is a big flag. I would probably be leaning toward an ETACS module at that point, once the basics are ruled out. I would want to double check ALL fuses, both in dash and under hood first of course. If the fuses are all intact, then I would want to do inspections on the wiper motor... checking for power, if a full scan tool was available trying to manually run it as well as testing the wiper switch inputs etc. If nothing stood out, then I would consider the ETACS the most likely failure point.

With regard to the hard starting... make sure you are charged up like you mentioned; if the battery is charged and you are getting nothing under the hood when you turn the key, odds are the ignition switch has failed... they fail a lot on these cars. Sometimes you can verify this by attempting to turn the key farther than normal and you will suddenly get starter operation. This is not a rule, but when it works it is pretty much 100% confirmation of the ignition switch being bad. More involved testing can be done by checking the output voltage on the switch, and tracing the power to the starter signal wire, etc. Before getting that involved though, charge the battery up. If you are having ETACS issues it will run the battery down and you may just not have enough juice left to do anything.