Doug
Doug, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  Mitsubishi employed and Factory trained ASE certified technician
21364095

My 2008 lancer Es is starting to lose oil About 1/2 a quart

Customer Question

My 2008 lancer Es is starting to lose oil About 1/2 a quart ever other fill up. Exhaust looks clean and I see no puddles after sitting, sometimes tho I smell oil while driving...200,000 miles and this is the first problem of any kind other than me putting in a heater blower motor
Category: Mitsubishi
Expert:  Doug replied 1 year ago.

It sounds like you are burning oil, a common issue on these as they get older. It is important to note that "acceptable" oil consumption on these per Mitsubishi is 1 quart per 1000 miles, so a half quart every other fill up is actually a bit under what Mitsubishi would consider normal depending on your driving of course.

Have you ever had anyone drive your car while you follow to look for any signs of smoke, particularly when leaving a stop light etc?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No smoke tailpipe looks clean. I think you missed it on this one. You went with the easy peasy answer.
Expert:  Doug replied 1 year ago.

Well for starters I'm still trying to gather information.... however the reality of the situation is that if you are losing oil, it is either burning off or leaking out... one or the other. There is no third option for where the oil is going.

So I'll ask again, have you had anyone drive the car while you follow so you can watch for smoke, particularly when leaving a stop light?

As well, when was the last time the PCV valve was changed?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Put new cat converter on and changed pcv valve. Oil consumption is almost nothing now
Expert:  Doug replied 1 year ago.

Ah fantastic! Glad that took care of it. The PCV is very often overlooked on these which is why it is the first thing usually to ask about. The catalyst won't actually stop oil consumption, but it will reduce visible smoke.... and if the PCV was bad it will definitely take a toll on the catalyst.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Only thing now is the service engine soon message comes up (101 cat converter) Belén reset twice but still comes back on.
Expert:  Doug replied 1 year ago.

If you are getting a catalyst fault, it means the rear O2 sensor is mimicking the front O2 sensor too closely... essentially meaning the HC content is not being reduced sufficiently by the catalyst.

-If it is a genuine Mitsubisthi catalyst, exchange it for another one

-If it was a weld-in aftermarket catalyst, they picked too low of an efficiency unit

-If it is a bolt-in aftermarket unit, the quality is just not high enough (likely a federal core, when Mitsubishi computers test for CARB level core efficiency)