350matt
350matt, Engineer
Experience:  Mechanical Engineer BEng Hons 22 years experience in car engine industry, 10 years in formula 1
12772297

I have a 99 Triton 3.0L petrol motor. It currently runs

Customer Question

Hi there. I have a 99 Triton 3.0L petrol motor. It currently runs really poorly at low revs or under load - almost winds down to a stop, until I drop it back to first and wind it out a bit. I've cleaned the MAP sensor, changed the plugs with platinum ones. It idles beautifully - doesn't miss or run rough - but as soon as you say put it into reverse to move backwards, it loses revs and power. I'm at my wit's end. Any suggestions would be really appreciated!
Cheers,
Neil.
Category: Mitsubishi
Expert:  350matt replied 1 year ago.

Hello

this sounds like a lack of fuel and could be a lack of fuel pressure from the electrical pump at the tank.

If the connections to the pump are corroded or damaged then the pump could stop at any time or could not be running at full speed. Check that its relay switches in and out and the relay contacts are clean and bright – replace the relay if in any doubt and do the same for the fuse,
Ideally measure the pressure at the injectors and if this is low check the pump as described and also consider changing the fuel filter as if this partially blocked this too will reduce pressure.

Expert:  350matt replied 1 year ago.

Hi

do you still need help?

Bear in mind that the site takes a deposit from you at the beginning and this is held by the site until you rate my answer at which point the cash is split between the site and the expert. I am only paid for my work on this question if you rate my answer, using the star system at the top of the screen. Please do not forget! Thank you