Doug
Doug, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  Mitsubishi employed and Factory trained ASE certified technician
21364095

I'm trying to figure out why the knob I use to turn my vents

Customer Question

Hello. I'm trying to figure out why the knob I use to turn my vents to defrost is hard to turn and will not move the vents. Is it a blend door problem or is it the unit itself? Thanks
Category: Mitsubishi
Expert:  Doug replied 10 months ago.

If you are having difficulty with the physical act of turning the knob, then this is nearly certain to be a blend door problem.
what i would do first is check the cable under left side of the dash... unhook the mode cable and then see if it turns smoothly. If it does then you know the mode door is at fault, and you will need to pull the dash and HVAC box out for mode door replacement.
If however the knob is still hard to turn with the cable unhooked from the HVAC box, then the cable itself probably has a kink in it. The actual knob is not likely to have any problem causing this by itself.
For what it is worth... when we see this where the knob goes almost all the way to the end of travel then stops, there is usually a small piece of debris in the door track... most often from pieces of the defroster grill having broken off and fallen into the hvac box.