Doug
Doug, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  Mitsubishi employed and Factory trained ASE certified technician
21364095

I have a 2006 Mitsubishi Endeavor we first changed the valve

Customer Question

Hi I have a 2006 Mitsubishi Endeavor we first changed the valve cover gasket and spark plugs then went to start the car and nothing! Now we threw a P0340 or whatever the code is for camshaft sensor, replaced it, replaced crankshaft sensor, and bought a new battery and the car still won't crank. We have the normal tick tick tick when you go I start it and some humming noise coming from the throttle body. We are just stumped on this!
Category: Mitsubishi
Expert:  Doug replied 10 months ago.

The humming is normal as is the initial clicking, that is throttle body and normal behavior.

Since changing the two sensors did the codes change at all?

Can you reinstall the original cam sensor and clear the code again (aftermarket cam sensors almost never work on these trucks)?

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Codes stopped appearing but car still never cranked. We are installing the original can sensor again.
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Okay installed clearing codes now, what's next
Expert:  Doug replied 10 months ago.

Thanks.

With it cleared let's crank it again extensively and see if it our a different fault comes on.

In the mean time, were any bolts or nuts etc lost during the valve cover job?

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Nothing was lost, code P0340
Expert:  Doug replied 10 months ago.

Thanks.

Let's check the wiring right off the cam sensor... Nothing for stretched or pinched right?

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Before all this happened the fist code I was throwing was for my EGR
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
No everything is fine on sensor
Expert:  Doug replied 10 months ago.

The engine was running fine prior to this all taking place though right?

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Correct
Expert:  Doug replied 10 months ago.

Please take the oil cap off and have a helper crank the engine while you watch in the oil fill hole. Can you see the rocker arms moving?

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Expert:  Doug replied 10 months ago.

Great.

Please unplug the cam sensor and measure the voltage between battery negative and each pin of the sensor connector with the key on. Let me know what you find.

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
11.3 on red nothing else
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
5volts on blue and yellow
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
That's it
Expert:  Doug replied 10 months ago.

Great.

Please plug the cam sensor back in and back probe the 5v wire.

in this state use a 22mm socket on the crank bolt and rotate the engine clock wise (do not use the starter). What behavior do you see from the 5v wire?

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Something weird is making a noise
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
5v
Expert:  Doug replied 10 months ago.

The 5v does not change?

Where are you hearing this noise?

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
No, sounds in the area of transmission. Only when turning the crank. Ticking noise almost
Expert:  Doug replied 10 months ago.

Thanks... This is definitely a concern. Let's pull that valve cover back off and make sure the entire cam is turning.

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Okay they moved the noise was coming from inside the head almost like a hissing noise.
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
The far left one looks
Expert:  Doug replied 10 months ago.

Thanks. The hissing is just compression that is okay.

As strange as it would be to have a sensor just fail while doing this job, it appears that is the case.

We verified the source 12V and reference 5V are both present, yet rotating the anti new shows no on/off pulse from the 5V line. We verified upper engine movement and no problem with the cam preventing the cam reluctor from turning.

That only leaves the sensor itself to be at fault for no signal out of that 5V wire.

Get a new genuine Mitsubishi sensor on there and you should be good to go. No exceptions here with the source of the sensor... If it isn't purchased directly from a dealership, it is not trustworthy on this model. The cheap Chinese sensors the auto parts stores sell (including the ones places like O'Reilly sell and swear they are real) do not work.

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Okay so I need to purchase just a can shaft sensor and try that?
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Cam
Expert:  Doug replied 10 months ago.

As far as I can see that's all you should need. Your 12V and 5V signals are there but they're is no change on the 5V wire while the engine turns and you confirmed the upper engine is turning, cam is rotating all the way across. That only leaves the sensor itself.

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Okay so after that is replaced I should be getting enough spark from everything else to crank over
Expert:  Doug replied 10 months ago.

That will take care of your p0340 issue... Once that is resolved your fuel and spark etc will go back to normal.

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Okay thank you. Will try to get part ordered tomorrow and go from there
Expert:  Doug replied 10 months ago.

You're welcome!!

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Just to double check, should the 5v pwr on the crankshaft position sensor change during rotation?
Expert:  Doug replied 10 months ago.

Yes, both the cam and crank sensor 5V signals will pulse on and off as the engine is rotated by hand. This is with the sensor plugged in and the 5V wire back probed just like we did with the cam sensor.

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Is the voltage sporadic while turning the engine or on/off
Expert:  Doug replied 10 months ago.

Not sporadic at all... When rotating by hand it is very clearly defined 0v-5v-0v-5v.

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Ok, thanks for the information
Expert:  Doug replied 10 months ago.

You're welcome!

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Hi I've now put in the Mitsubishi cam sensor and car still
Won't crank over. Any other suggestions?
Expert:  Doug replied 10 months ago.

Please re-check your cam sensor signal... do you still have no pulse, or do you have 5-0-5-0 behavior now?
If you still have no pulse, then you need to recheck there is rotation at the cam sensor... perhaps take the sensor out and watch in the hole for movement.

If there is pulse now, then we corrected that issue but there is still something else in play we need to work on.