Jared D
Jared D, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  Shop Supervisor at County Fleet
62275574

I have endeavor 2007. In cold weather there is a chattering

Customer Question

I have endeavor 2007. In cold weather there is a chattering noise coming from engine. when warms up the noise goes away. I found out that most of the endeavor have this problem. Do you know what is it and how to fix
Category: Mitsubishi
Expert:  Jared D replied 1 year ago.

It really depends on how quickly the noise goes away, and the type of noise. It could easily be the hydraulic timing belt tensioner; they tend to have a hard time holding tension on the belt when they are really cold, but typically they will make a slapping noise that is more slow in rhythm. The noise will take about 5-10 heat up enough to go away. The only way to fix it is to replace the timing tensioner guides as they are likely worn.

If the noise is more of a fast paced ticking then it is most likely a lifter noise. This will go away after about 1-2 minutes. The only way to fix that noise is to use an oil viscosity that flows better at cold temperatures. A 5w30, 5w20, or even a 0w30 will work really well.

Expert:  Jared D replied 1 year ago.

I just wanted to check whether you need any additional info.

If you no longer have any questions please don't forget to rate.

Expert:  Jared D replied 1 year ago.

Please don't forget to rate. We don't get paid if we don't get a positive rating.