Doug
Doug, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  Mitsubishi employed and Factory trained ASE certified technician
21364095

Replaced battery now Won't start

Customer Question

Replaced battery now Won't start
Category: Mitsubishi
Expert:  Doug replied 10 months ago.

Was it the engine battery or key battery that was replaced?

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Engine battery.. I do have a chip in my key which I believe has to do with the car not starting. I had to start it a particular
Way years ago after getting a new battery but I don't recall how
Expert:  Doug replied 10 months ago.

The chip in the key should not be affected by the engine battery being changed normally.

When you try to start the engine, it cracks but does not start, or does it not crank either?

If it cranks but doesn't start, does it sound abnormal (faster or slower than normal)?

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
It just turns over it doesn't start
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
It started fine prior to the battery replacement
Expert:  Doug replied 10 months ago.

Thanks.

When you turn the key on does the service engine soon light still do it's bulb test?

Are there any other electrical malfunctions you can see?

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
I turned my
Car key and engine service light on as well as a few other things like oil light brake light . I see nothing else
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
I think it may be a anti theft thing from changing battery
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
There is a way to start ther car to read the cars computer I just don't know how
Expert:  Doug replied 10 months ago.

Thanks.
The vehicle has two factory security systems.... the immobilizer in the key which causes the fuel to cut if it does not match (and is RFID based, completely independent of the battery) and the wireless system that simply sounds the horn and lights when tripped. Neither should be impacted by the battery being disconnected unless there is an add-on module.
That said... to disarm it you would only either use the button on the key or use the key to unlock the drivers door twice. Those are the over ride measures for the factory system.

Do you have a second key you could try for comparison? Do you have a test light or meter?

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
The key I have is only for starting Bc it was never programmed for unlocking and locking
Expert:  Doug replied 10 months ago.

No problem, and no second key then I take it?
How about a meter or test light?

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
No second key and I'm not familiar with a test
Light
Expert:  Doug replied 10 months ago.

I understand.

Lets take a visual inspection of your larger fusible links... these are the bigger fuses under the hood in the fuse box and specifically the one hanging off the positive battery post. Lets look to see if any of these are visibly broken (you can look through the window on the top of each). Also lets double check if you disassembled the positive battery terminal that all cables got reattached.