Doug
Doug, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  Mitsubishi employed and Factory trained ASE certified technician
21364095

I'm write you from Hungary and i'm mitsubishi pajero 2.5td

Customer Question

Hi Doug,
i'm write you from Hungary and i'm mitsubishi pajero 2.5td 1991 owner.
I lost my keys and i have no spare.
I have a contact who can make the key after the lock, BUT...
It is enough if i remove one lock from the door and use as a sample to make the key? This will be OK for the ignition also?
I'm ask this because i had two key for the car, one longer for the ignition and one shorter for the door? It is normal? I buy this car used so i dont know that there is some hacking or it is normal?
Do you have any experience?
Thanks in advance!
Christian
Category: Mitsubishi
Expert:  Doug replied 11 months ago.

Hi Christian,

Thanks for your patience.
Any good lock smith can make you a duplicate key using either lock cylinder. They need to have it removed then they can disassemble it and remove the tumblers which are numbered to tell them what size cut to go into each position. Note that the door lock cylinder is easier... as the ignition one needs to be "picked" to get it out if you don't have a good key already.

So yes, essentially they will want to make a duplicate using the door cylinder as a guide.
The two keys should be identical.... the length doesn't really matter as different brand replacement keys are different lengths. From Mitsubishi though the actual key cut is the same for the door and the ignition. If yours are cut differently, that means someone has changed them in the past... at which point you are going to be out of luck with regard to using the door cylinder.

Expert:  Doug replied 11 months ago.

It looks like we missed each other. If you need clarification on anything just let me know and I will get with you as soon as I can.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Hello Dough,i will remove the cylinder from the door to duplicate this first, maybe we are lucky and will work with the ignition too. I will come back to you with the result!
Expert:  Doug replied 11 months ago.

Sounds good, hopefully that should get you set; for a 91 it should be the same key for both unless one was replaced in the past.
I'll be here if you need me.