Doug
Doug, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  Mitsubishi employed and Factory trained ASE certified technician
21364095

How do I reset immobilizer?

Customer Question

How do I reset immobilizer for fob?
Category: Mitsubishi
Expert:  Doug replied 11 months ago.

Is it the keyless entry you are trying to program or the immobilizer?

The keyless entry is the one that is programmed using the pins on the OBD port. The immobilizer can only be programmed either with two already working keys or using a dealer scan tool.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
New fob from dealer, jump pin 1&4 car locks and unlocks, will not start how do I delete old code from ecu and insert new code from new key ? Or there abouts
Expert:  Doug replied 11 months ago.

Again the keyless entry (wireless locks) and the immobilizer (engine start) are two different functions. You can only program the immobilizer with two working keys or a dealer scan tool.... no exceptions unfortunately. The 1&4 procedure will only program the keyless function.

Do you have two functioning keys to use to add the new key?

Expert:  Doug replied 11 months ago.

We seem to keep missing each other somehow.

If you have two working keys you can add the new key by doing the following:

Insert working key #1 into ignition, turn to On, wait about one second, then remove key.

Within 3-4 seconds insert working key #2 into ignition, turn to On, wait about one second, then remove key.
Within 3-4 seconds insert new key to be added and wait 4-5 seconds.

Turn ignition key off then start vehicle, the key will be added.

Again if you do not have two working keys, a dealer scan tool is the only way to add the key; most dealers will perform this for whatever their minimum labor charge is (usually a half hour labor is the minimum). Some dealers will perform this free of charge when you purchase the key particularly if you have an existing history/relationship with them, but of course this is less likely after you've bought the key than done all at once.