Doug
Doug, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  Mitsubishi employed and Factory trained ASE certified technician
21364095

I have a mitshubishi mighty max 1988. it was running

Customer Question

I have a mitshubishi mighty max 1988 . it was running yesterday and will not stay running at all . the battery conections are good and i dont see anything different . why would this happen
Category: Mitsubishi
Expert:  Doug replied 11 months ago.

What exactly happens when you start the engine, does it stumble and die or just not run at all?

If the former, what happens when you depress the gas pedal while cranking/just starting?

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
If i try to start it as is it WILL start but will die in about 5 seconds. If I gas it quick enough after it starts i can keep it running for about 10 seconds but also at that time if i were to relase the gas it would die immidetaly.
Expert:  Doug replied 11 months ago.

Thanks.

If you supply auxiliary fuel (starting fluid for example), are you able to keep the engine running longer that way or no change?

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
No not yet. I just had that same question asked about 5 minutes ago. Im going to go to the store and get some I just dont know where to spray it in my truck . Would i pull my air filter assembly off using the wingnut and spray into what looks like a carburetor?
Expert:  Doug replied 11 months ago.

If you have a carb model (2.6), then yes. Just do not over-do it as it can fire back out at you.

If you have a fuel injected model (2.4, 3.0) then you would want to temporarily pull the intake hose off, spray in, then reinstall and try. If your can has a nozzle straw, you can slide it in beside the hose to make it easier to repeat sprays. Of course it helps to have two people available for this check since we want to try to keep it running longer, proving a fuel related problem is afoot.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
I see. How about i get back up with you tomorrow when i have the equipment and i will find someone to help . I believe i know where this is going . I helped a friend do the same thing and he ended up saying his fuel pump went bad . So i see how it would be easier with 2 . I will messege you tomorrow so we can wrap this up and so I can see what i am doing.
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Thank You !
Expert:  Doug replied 11 months ago.

No problem at all. You can reach me back on this same page, just reply here and I will get with you as soon as I am in; don't open a new question, I will get with you as soon as I see your post.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Ok
Expert:  Doug replied 11 months ago.

Thanks

no need to reply to this tonight; I am required to post last.