Doug
Doug, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  Mitsubishi employed and Factory trained ASE certified technician
21364095

2011 Endeavor 30,000 miles. Groaning noise on passenger side

Customer Question

2011 Endeavor 30,000 miles. Groaning noise on passenger side when cold. Slight high frequency vibration felt in gas pedal when driving.....
Category: Mitsubishi
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Forgot to add that it only makes groaning noise when put into gear.......goes away when warmed up
Expert:  Doug replied 11 months ago.

Is the noise you are hearing occurring when the vehicle is in motion only or does it do it when just sitting still in gear?

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Both.....louder sitting still in gear though
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
I can hear it driving when warm if I am going slow with gas pedal barely depressed as well
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Still under warranty....called the dealer and he said sounds normal for cold weather
Expert:  Doug replied 11 months ago.

Thanks.

These are a bit noisy engines in the cold, so much so that they even released bulletins on this instructing to do nothing in certain cases.

When this happens if you rev the engine up how does the noise respond to the engine speed?

Does it go away just idling long enough or do you have to drive it?

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
No sounds when reving engine when cold........Yes it goes away after idling long enough. Just wondering if high frequency vibration in gas pedal and this are related.
Expert:  Doug replied 11 months ago.

The vibration in the gas pedal is typical on this model... to the point that it drives me berzerk every time I have to drive one; is this something that has worsened over time, or is the vehicle new to you or otherwise have always experienced the condition?

Expert:  Doug replied 11 months ago.

That wasn't clear to your question, but no there would not be any correlation expected (whether the pedal is just typical or if it is "Worse").

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Car is new to me. Just purchased. I dont think vibration is getting worse. I just notice it more because i feel it when I drive it now.
Expert:  Doug replied 11 months ago.

I would be real hesitant to say that there is an actual problem there with regard to the pedal. Just because it is that noticeable on all of our early electronic throttle vehicles (04-11 Endeavor, 07-10 Outlander specifically were the worst offenders).

When you are driving at a fixed speed, it feels almost like the pedal is tingling, a real high frequency buzz to it right? If you are at steady speed and you release the pedal, you might hear a change in "hum" as well?

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
tingling high frequency feeling......haven't noticed a hum sound though. I Don't feel tingling/vibration when it shifts into overdrive...it goes away
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Also the groan noise when cold sounds kinda hollow...if that helps
Expert:  Doug replied 11 months ago.

Yeah that is pretty typical behavior of this vehicle. The pedal is literally a stand alone component with just an electrical connector on it, and the inside is a bunch of transistors that have a hum to them that can be felt in your foot at almost any position, only going away when certain vehicle frequencies overpower it (like at a certain road speed your wheels will often counter the frequency and it will appear to go away... its still there, just masked).
If you are very concerned about that specific issue, I would recommend getting the dealership to allow you to test drive a different one/used one/etc to compare and I think you will find it is exactly alike. As I mentioned before, they drive me nuts... some people are more sensitive to it than others. My wife drives an AWD Endeavor and has never once complained.

If there were something additional going on, because of the simplicity of the system there wouldn't really be much to look at.... if the voltage levels are normal (not over charging for example) then only the pedal would be to blame. But again... real common complaint and nothing is going to eliminate it. I would drive another before going further with it if you were certain something seemed wrong. Just to be fair.

With regard to the groan noise... does it seem cyclical or is it a steady tone? Like can you hear a pattern to it, even if slight? If yes, does the pattern increase with engine speed (at least until the engine sounds overpower it anyway)?

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
let me check
Expert:  Doug replied 11 months ago.

Most people that describe the problem I am suspecting you have will call it a rapid rapping sound, hollow but dull knock, etc.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Steady tone that is present in reverse or drive is when moving without depressing pedal that goes away at about 1500rpm when you start driving cold...no knock or rapping sound....just a low frequency groan
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
does not really change when turning the wheel
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
If this is normal as the dealer said......does your wife experience it as well or are you in a warm weather state?
Expert:  Doug replied 11 months ago.

Thanks, ***** ***** certainly not what I was thinking of.

Most Endeavors have a bit of a hum/perhaps groan to them but it is usually amplified when the wheel is turned (for example <3 mph maneuvers). This is pretty typical, however it doesn't usually go away when warmed up, it is just the way it is.

To that end I'm a bit unsure on your issue.... do you think it would pick up in audio if you took a video of it with a phone etc? That would likely clear things up very quickly as to whether this is normal or whether we would want to investigate further.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Can i get you a video later......or does that count as a second bill?
Expert:  Doug replied 11 months ago.

No, if you think you can get back with me today/this evening we can just keep this opened if you like. Just reply back here, do not open a new question as that will induce an additional charge.

Expert:  Doug replied 11 months ago.

If you think it may take a day or two that is OK, what we can do is conclude this session today, then when you are ready just return back to this page and post and it will re-open the question for me.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
I can do it now from inside of cabin........no one here to do it from outside
Expert:  Doug replied 11 months ago.

Wherever it is most noticeable.... though from inside the car if it will pick up is probably ideal, as that will give me a better impression of what you are hearing.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
ok....i'll send it later.....i have a appt
Expert:  Doug replied 11 months ago.

No problem.