Doug
Doug, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  Mitsubishi employed and Factory trained ASE certified technician
21364095

My name is ***** ***** and i purchased a new keyless entry

Customer Question

Customer: Hi my name is ***** ***** and i purchased a new keyless entry for my 2008 Mit Outlander XLS and i was wanting to see if i could reprogram it myself.
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: We lost one of our keyless entry fob's and so i'm looking to program this new one so i can use it.
JA: OK got it. Last thing — JustAnswer charges a fee (generally around $18) to post your type of question to Mitsubishi Experts (you only pay if satisfied). There are a couple customers ahead of you. Are you willing to wait a bit?
Customer: Sure.
JA: OK. Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: Mitsubishi
Expert:  Doug replied 11 months ago.

Self programming is only available if you have two working keys. Do you still have two keys available or are you down to just one?

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
No we only have one key
Expert:  Doug replied 11 months ago.

Thanks.

With only one key your options are very limited.

Is this the fully wireless system (plastic "knob" to start the car) or the traditional keyless system with the metal key that you insert into the column to start the car?

Expert:  Doug replied 11 months ago.

It looks like we keep missing each other.

If you have the FAST fully wireless system then your only option is to get it to a dealership for programming. Most dealerships have a flat-half hour charge for this service (About $45). Be aware that used keys are not able to be reused unless they have been sent to a third party shop that can erase their memory; even a dealership can not do this, so it needs to be either a new key or a re-certified/erased key.

If you have the traditional keyless system with the metal key you use to start the car, you will need to take it to a dealership for the engine function programming, however you can program the keyless function yourself. It will not start the car until the dealer programs it however, only work the keyless entry function.

I am attaching the instructions for manually programming the keyless entry on the traditional keys as well as the actual key programming instructions for both systems for your use in the future if you ever need to add a key when you have the required two working keys.