peterpete190
peterpete190, Auto Technician
Experience:  Auto repair Technician with 17 years experience.Past ASE and other certifications.
14928985

I have a mitsubishi Outlander. Sometimes it will not start.

Customer Question

Customer: I have a mitsubishi Outlander. Sometimes it will not start. The ignition works and it tries to start but its as if no rule gets to it. Very time, if you wait half an hour it wall start first time.
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: It is a 2008 diesel model with 115K on the clock. Thats about it I think
JA: OK got it. Last thing — JustAnswer charges a fee (generally around $18) to post your type of question to Mitsubishi Experts (you only pay if satisfied). There are a couple customers ahead of you. Are you willing to wait a bit?
Customer: Sure. If you can solve it I am happy to pay.
JA: OK. Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: Mitsubishi
Expert:  peterpete190 replied 11 months ago.

Hi my name is ***** ***** I will be happy to assist with this today.In some cases I may need more info to assist better.I apologize for any delay.My info is somewhat limited on your model here but I had seen no one else has responded and would like to see if I can help here.If at any time you feel that I cannot help with this please let me know.

The first thing that needs done here is to have the fault codes read out/checked using a scan tool that will plug in and communicate with all computers.Once this has been done any codes set will need to be diagnosed to locate and correct this fault here.

Common issues are a failing crank sensor needing replaced as most engines use a crank sensor that sends a signal to the engine computer on the position of the crank shaft and is used for engine RPM signal.This sensor will cut out intermittently and cause a no start usually having to wait anywhere from a few minutes to a half hour or more before it will restart.

The other issue I have seen is a restricted fuel filter but this usually causes a no start most of the time or lack of power when it does start.

I suspect this may be more of an ignition control fault and the crank sensor at fault is common.

If more help is needed, use the reply tab to continue our conversation. If no further assistance is needed, kindly rate my service.You can rate at any time and we can continue to work on your question as this will not close out your question.Keep in mind in some cases it can be difficult to fully diagnose or help repair your vehicle without seeing it and I work on delivering the best possible answer from what I see to work with.

Thanks Pete