Doug
Doug, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  Mitsubishi employed and Factory trained ASE certified technician
21364095

Outlander 2004 car Ac blows hot air after some time

Customer Question

Hi
Outlander 2004 car Ac blows hot air after some time specially in hot day
Category: Mitsubishi
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi instead phone call we can do phone chat to proceed
Expert:  Doug replied 1 year ago.

On a cooler day does it seem to operate normally (or longer)?

If you start the car up now and turn the AC on, are you hearing the compressor cycle on and off periodically or does it seem to engage and stay engaged (no cycling)?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
On cooler days it stays very long
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Also I can hear compressor click noice for some time but once the outside temperature is hot as doesn't work. And compressor doesn't click.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I got it regas and got its pressure switch changed too
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Right now I don't hear any click noice because it's hot
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
When ever I take it to mechanic they say it is working fine and they charge there fees just to check but after some time same problem.
I need it done urgently because I am taking my car from Melbourne to Sydney on 27 th
So without Ac big problem.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Waiting for your reply
Expert:  Doug replied 1 year ago.

I'm sorry for some reason none of your posts came through until just now.
Just so I am clear, when the system is still working you are hearing it click on and off periodically or is it just one time? This is important because there are two specific issues see that have these differing behaviors.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
when Ac is working I can hear clicks periodically
Expert:  Doug replied 1 year ago.

Great.

Is the system acting up right now, or can you make it do so quickly?

If so, I would like to try one of two different tests:

1) Unplug the AC compressor connector (single wire connector above the compressor) and test it for voltage with the engine running and AC turned on or

2) Locate the AC clutch relay in the under bonnet relay center (snowflake picture on cover) and with the engine running and AC on (but of course not working), pull the relay out and plug it back in a few times... do you hear/feel the relay click each time you remove it?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I don't have any meter to check voltage
Expert:  Doug replied 1 year ago.

That would be what option 2 is for... it will tell us the same thing I am trying to find out without needing the meter.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok
I am opening the hood
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
That is a fuse here not a relay switch in the cover
Expert:  Doug replied 1 year ago.

There will be a separate relay with a snowflake picture too. Its location depends on which engine you have, the ones we have here (2.4 engines) have a second relay center right next to the big one, it is a long narrow one with a row of ~5 relays, the ac one is the nearest the windscreen.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No this car only have three relays and last two spots are empty
Expert:  Doug replied 1 year ago.

Can you get a photo of both panels for me?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
For some reason picture is not going
Expert:  Doug replied 1 year ago.

We've been having some site issues tonight.... you can upload to imgur.com instead and post a link here.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Do I need to sign up in this site
Expert:  Doug replied 1 year ago.

I got that one, that is the in dash panel though.... we need the ones under the bonnet.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
There is only one under the bonnet
Expert:  Doug replied 1 year ago.

There are two right there.... the long narrow one still has a cover on it. Pull the cover off and the AC relay should be the rear most one.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
To open its cover was very hard it came off totally than I opened the cover
Expert:  Doug replied 1 year ago.

This is the relay cover

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No click after removing relay
Expert:  Doug replied 1 year ago.

Thanks, ***** ***** is with the engine running, AC on, but AC not working/malfunctioning?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
What's next?
Expert:  Doug replied 1 year ago.

Thanks.

Knowing that we can be certain that beyond a relay failure (very rare in this particular fashion.... though easy enough to rule out by swapping with an adjacent one) the problem you are experiencing is a safety shut down. We know this because the AC ecu has turned the relay off, requesting the AC to stop operating.

The AC ecu will shut down the AC if the pressure is out of range (charge level problem) if the pressure is perceived out of range (pressure sensor problem), if the fan speed is not detected (not the issue here since your problem comes and goes), if the evaporator core temperature is out of range, or if the AC ecu itself malfunctions.

Since you have recharged the system (Assuming by machine and not "top up" cans) we can rule out a charge level issue. If it was not charged properly and was just topped up.... then a full evac and scaled charge is in order.

Since the pressure sensor has been replaced we can pretty safely rule it out too.

The fan speed detection we can rule out since your problem only happens on hot days etc.... the nature of that failure is wiring related or fan inoperative in the car, which wouldn't fit your case.

That leaves us with the evaporator temperature freezing or a problem with the ecu as your most likely suspects. With all the above correct and ruled out, what I would be doing is reading the thermistor value on a scan tool during normal operation and once it is malfunctioning to see what is going on there. What we often see are the thermistors falling out of position or getting reinstalled improperly in the past etc leaving them in a position that reads colder than expected and you'll have an abnormally cold reading cause a shut down.

The second thing I would consider is if the evaporator is literally icing over.... this can happen if the charge level is just a hair off (~5-10% undercharge) or if the drain is blocked and water is building up, as the water will start freezing faster than it can drain out.

If the thermistor value is normal and we already know the sensor is good and charge level is spot on but it is still shutting down the AC (relay power is cut), then and only then would I suspect a bad AC ecu (control head).

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
What can we do next
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Also Ac light starts blinking some times
Expert:  Doug replied 1 year ago.

The AC light blinking is just acknowledging the shut down.

What you would want to do next if the pressure sensor is new and the gas is charged 100% correctly (using a machine/scale), would be to do as I described and have the thermistor reading checked to make sure it isn't reading way out of range or anything and that the evaporator is not freezing up. If the thermistor reads normal (ambient when off, no less than ~5C when running) and the evaporator is not icing, water is draining properly etc, then I would expect to replace the control head (AC ecu is integrated).

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Where is ecu in this car
Expert:  Doug replied 1 year ago.

The AC ecu is integrated into the control head.... the part with the knobs etc houses the ecu as a single unit.

Expert:  Doug replied 1 year ago.

This should only be looked into last after verifying the other items I mentioned unless you happen to have a spare one available or something. They fail, but not so often that it would be considered a go-to repair. In the past ~ten years I've been with Mitsubishi I could still probably count on my fingers how many ecus I've seen fail on the Outlander AC.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ac didn't work
Can I ask anothe question
That is
My interior light is not working when lock and unlock the doors.
It works manually.
Problem started when I touched Center some light with screwdriver and it sparked a little and stopped working with opening and closing the doors.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I checked the fuses under the steering but they are ok.
Expert:  Doug replied 1 year ago.

In the under bonnet fuse box you will see a small yellow box that holds two fuses. One of these two fuses is likely blown. The yellow fuse holder is hard to remove, pull up firmly while rocking it and it will pop out eventually. Then use needle nose pliers to remove the fuses from the holder.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
After changing this fuse car remote is not working
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Also stereo stays on and problem when car is stopped and in drive mode
Expert:  Doug replied 1 year ago.

That fuse that causes the lights to malfunction also operates the remote, so you're still in the same position... Need to replace those fuses, one is blown.

The second sentence I can't make heads or tails of.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The one was blown. I changed that and now the problem started.
I even changed them twice.
Normally I have to turn my stereo on manually. But now it stays on always when ignition is on
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Also acceleration is also playing up specially when car is stopped and in drive mode
Expert:  Doug replied 1 year ago.

The radio is supposed to remember if it is on or off. You should not have to turn it on each time you turn the key on... If you do, that is an indication one of those two fuses is blown. When the fuse is blown the memory loses its retained state memory.

Unless you started randomly unplugging things, pulling fuses out that are unrelated to the issue, etc, they're isn't any reason for drivability issues after taking the radio and dome fuses out. If you randomly pulled other fuses out you may have reset the ecu adaptations... It will relearn as you drive it though

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
My stereo is after market it was like this even when the dome light was fine if the radio stays on always is that ok? Car won't make any problems?
The acceleration thing will work out it self?
Expert:  Doug replied 1 year ago.

Aftermarket versus stock doesn't make any difference with regard to retained memory. If it had to be turned on each time either the fuse was blown or the radio iisn't wired correctly (which of course wouldn't be the case of it is I okay now).

As long as the radio is turning off when the key is turned off, it is normal.

Yes if you are having idle issues, take off etc, the ecu will readapt slowly. This happens when power is disconnected from the engine ecu.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Now I made it same like the same fuse which was blown but still same problem with radio.
It should be like how it was before changing the blown fuse
Expert:  Doug replied 1 year ago.

If you take the fuse out it should revert back to the malfunctioning state as before where you have to turn the radio on manually. Make sure you have the right fuse out if you are trying to make it malfunction again.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I will check after some time now and update you
Expert:  Doug replied 1 year ago.

No problem.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Upon changing again when putting key in ignition it making krrrrrrrrrr sound continuously
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Clock also not working
Expert:  Doug replied 1 year ago.

The noise I don't know. The clock is still on those same two fuses.

You need to go back in again and make sure you don't just have something blowing the fuse each time and that the battery hasn't run down or anything obvious like that, and if not then get it to a professional with a meter so they can test for voltage source at the fuses (in case you blew the supply link to them etc).

Every problem you have described since the new questions started revolve around your looking at those fuses. There is no reason to suspect anything farther.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Fuses are normal now but I think when I was taking yellow thing off. Something got loosned up.
Cruise and fog lights also not working clock and stereo got back to normal after keeping the fused fuse
Expert:  Doug replied 1 year ago.

Yeah perhaps you may have caused some inadvertent damage to the fuse panel, or perhaps whatever you had disassembled before when I had asked you to take the relay cover off.