Doug
Doug, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  Mitsubishi employed and Factory trained ASE certified technician
21364095

I have a Mitsubishi Outlander 2007 equippe engine is bsy It

Customer Question

Hi I have a Mitsubishi Outlander 2007 equippe engine is bsy
It does not have cruise control so have been told that if I get a stearing wheel from a model that does have cruise control it would work once I have fited it .
That haveing been done the controls for the radio and telephone work as do the lights in the wheel come on but not cruise control . when I plug the metre in to the car it sees the cruise control but I can't switch it on .
Do you know if it will work or is there something missing on the car that it will need before it will work ?
Category: Mitsubishi
Expert:  Doug replied 1 year ago.

The cruise control is fully integrated into the PCM on this model (no standalone unit) so your operation is going to be primarily dependent on the PCM being cruise-enabled. They are not all cruise enabled in my experience.
To verify the condition you will need to get it to a dealership or someone with a dealer level scan tool and attempt to access the cruise control module. If there is no communication, the PCM is not cruise enabled. Remember the system is fully integrated there, so there isn't going to be a fuse or anything simple like that.... if the engine runs, the PCM works, and so if the cruise is enabled you will have communication.

If there is no communication and therefor no cruise enabled, you will need to source a cruise enabled PCM (find the VIN from a same-engine/transmission equipped same year model that has cruise and order for it).

If there is communication then they will want to go to the data list where the buttons can be monitored for pulse and then check to see if the buttons are all inoperative. If they are, then it is likely you are missing some wiring in between the wheel and the PCM. Specifically I have seen the clock spring (rotating part in the column) be missing these pins on non cruise or non hands free models, and this is your most likely culprit, that there is just nothing to connect the button signal to the rest of the vehicle. If there is wiring in the clock spring then you will need to just start tracking back from there until you find the wires missing. At that point it would be a custom job adding in wiring as these are not plug and play harnesses... they are either equipped or not but do not have patch wiring to add it or anything like that.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi can you tell me what you mean by PCM is this the same as ecu .. When I connected the stearing wheel and connected the scan tool in the live data it did not see the cruise control but after I rebooted it it then showed the cruise contro 581 cruise control .....off. And 285 cruise control ...... .it would be strange to put the wires in for the radio telephone lights etc but not the cruise control .
Expert:  Doug replied 1 year ago.

Yes, PCM is the same as ECU (Programmable Control Module versus Engine Control Module).

Yeah it is weird what they do and do not wire for in these cars. The telephone buttons are in 95% of the vehicles even though the function is only in 30% etc. It makes you wonder why they save those 5% from having the wiring etc.

Check the communication to the cruise control module directly via full function scan tool. If it reads it, then you will have wiring to contend with. If it doesn't read it (it should report back the same part number as the engine ECU when you pull it up via the MFI module), then the ECU is not equipped for it.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi Doug
Before I had put the stearing wheel on the car ,if connected the scan tool it never showed the cruise control in the live data but now it does. So I can only assume that the wiring is there . So the ecu must be cruise controlled enabled .
So there must be some other reason why it does not work .If the wiring is missing where would it have come from the ecuDerek
Expert:  Doug replied 1 year ago.

We are concerned with scanning the cruise control module itself. This is what is important.
There isn't anything really that should have been affected in the live data outside the cruise module that would have changed simply by plugging in the wheel.